Old 28-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Marcel Larouche

Default Suntuf corrugated panels

Hi all,

I will cover my orchid greenhouse with polycarbonate corrugated panels of
the company SUNTUF.
Would you send me the best color for this one ?

All panels are 100 % UV protect.

Clear ( 90 % sun transmission )
White ( 45 % sun transmission )
Grey ( 35 % sun transmission )

I have many Cattleyas's alliance.

The internet site of Suntuf is :
http://www.suntuf.com/Corrugated-Products.htm

Thank's

Marcel Larouche,

Old 28-05-2005, 03:19 PM
K Barrett

I'd go with the clear 90% sun transmission then get shade cloth to cut it
down to the appropriate strength. You can always add/remove shade, but you
can't add sun.

As to shade cloth, IMHO use a meter in order to set your shade.

K Barrett

.. .

Old 28-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Al

At my latitude the percentage of sunlight at full strength can vary as much
as 30 to 35% from summer bright to winter dark. Your seasonal variation my
be different. During the winter long periods of cloud cover add to deficit
of light in the greenhouse. I have a clear plastic the reduces natural
light by 10 to 12% when new.

If I chose a cover that is right for summer light intensity then my
greenhouse will be too dark all winter because I can add more. If I chose
one that works for winter then I have to add some shade in the summer on top
of that provided by the plastic.

No matter what they tell you the plastic will darken over it's lifetime and
let less light in than when it was new. Keep that in mind. I am willing to
bet that 90% new is more like 75 to 80% after 6 to 8 years.

I say go with the covering that has the greatest light transmission and use
shade cloth when and where needed. If possible find a way to automate the
shade cloth so on cloudy days it will pull open to let in more light and on
sunny days it will close. If it is not automated, you will have to deal
with the fact that several times a year you must adjust the shade to the
coming season. Also, shade cloth that is retractable can be pulled closed
at night to help the greenhouse retain heat. Every little bit counts. I do
not have an automated shade cloth system. Generally I am putting shade on
in early March and pulling it off again in November.

The best way to look at it is: you can always add more shade if needed but
it is much harder to add more light.

Old 28-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Ray

Absolutely go with the clear.

You can always increase the shading, but if you go with a "permanent shade"
by way of tinting, you can never increase the light transmission.

I think that anywhere in Canada, the white might be adequate for phals in
the middle of summer, but at other times of the year, you would not have
sufficient light to grow anything but moss.

Old 31-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Marcel Larouche

Thank youso much K Barrett, Al and Ray.

The CLEAR will be my choise !