Old 17-12-2013, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default alternative to corrugated iron for back of raised bed?

Hello there
I am trying to get back into reuse an area of our garden which is a sort-of
raised bed. The bed is around 6ft wide and 5ft front to back.

It has brickwork to around 15" high at the front and two sides. At the rear the
brickwork has fallen away (was never properly made, I think), and the bed is open
to our neighbours fence - concrete post and cheap wooden fence panels. These are
also falling apart, so the soil is spilling out at the rear.

There is no real room between their fence and the back of the bed - perhaps a
couple of inches. I am trying to think of the best way to create a, possibly
temporary, back wall to the bed for next spring and beyond.

My initial though was for a short width of corrugated iron, jammed in between the
neighbours fence post and the back of the raised bed. I'm pretty sure this would
work well, but would be unsightly. so I'm looking for alternatives...

Are there any (cheap!) sheet materials which would be suitable for this, in terms
of flexibility, weatherproofing, etc., but would not be so ugly?

Thanks for any thoughts

jon N

Old 17-12-2013, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/2013 13:44, wrote:
[...]

What about a couple of sheets of corrugated PVC at right-angles to each
other? It is surprisingly strong along is length. Or you could fit a
single sheet to several batons which cross the corrugations; this would
add strength across the weak direction.

--

Jeff
Old 17-12-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

For such a small bed, I'd dig out a trench of soil at the back of the
bed (pile it up on the soil at the front of the bed) and remake the
back wall with concrete blocks then backfill the soil. The blocks will
last a lifetime. They are often available second hand for free, and for
that height and position you don't need to mortar them.

Janet.

Old 17-12-2013, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/2013 18:11, Janet wrote:
[...]

I'm not going to mention corrugated asbestos sheeting.
Old 17-12-2013, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Why not :~) I am trying to come up with a new use for an old shed roof,
trying to double bag it for the dump is pretty tricky.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 18-12-2013, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/2013 22:49, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I've used it for topping benches so that it stays damp and I can see no
risk in those conditions, likewise if used as a retaining wall I can't
see any risk.
When it's dry and over head then that's a different matter.
David @ a wet side of Swansea bay.