Old 20-07-2005, 10:01 AM
@Homeonthecouch

Default wrinkly leaves

Please can anyone help me. My phal orchid has wrinkly leaves & from past
advice in the newsgroup I found I was over watering my orchid & it had
rotten roots. I have cut back the roots & repotted it. The leaves are going
brown from the tips & are getting more wrinkly. I moved it from the kitchen
window sill to the bathroom, where it is more shaded than direct light. Is
there any hope for my orchid or not ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Leonie

Old 20-07-2005, 03:57 PM
danny

Is it all the leaves, or just the lowest leaves? If the newest leaves have
brown tips, I would cut off the tips with clean razor blades (make sure you
cut all the way back to healthy tissue). If it's the lower leaves, just let
them die off. There are many different causes for the leaf-tip dieback
(hard water, too much fertilizer, etc) that can vary from plant to plant,
it's hard to figure out why it's happening sometimes. Your plant will
definitely be stressed out after losing the roots. If you can get new roots
to start growing then you may save the plant.
-danny

.uk...

Old 20-07-2005, 08:03 PM
@Homeonthecouch

Hi Danny

The poor orchid only has 3 leaves & the lower 2 are brown at the ends &
wrinkly. How do I get new roots to grow ?

Thanks

Leonie

Old 20-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Kenni Judd

How do I get new roots to grow ?

1. Keep the root zone fairly dry [I don't mean stop watering altogether,
but cut back even further than you have so far]. If your conditions are
cool and dry [low humidity], you may need to do the plastic bag routine
which has been described here many times before, or mist the foliage lightly
but frequently.

2. You can try a root stimulator such as Superthrive or DynaGrow K-L-N.

3. A fungicide treatment shouldn't hurt and might help.

But unless this plant is rare/expensive, or has some special sentimental
value, why not just start over with a healthy, properly-potted replacement
from your local orchid nursery? Chemicals are expensive, pesky to store,
pesky to use safely [gloves, mask or respirator, etc.] -- and rarely
available in quantities that are practical for a person with only a few
plants.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

wrinkly passionflower leaves Carol Hughes United Kingdom 0 07-06-2007 02:53 PM
wrinkly? undergroundbob Orchids 12 12-03-2005 04:29 PM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM
Wrinkly garlic Mark Edible Gardening 5 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
leaves ... and more leaves Jeff Kessler Ponds 4 01-04-2003 03:32 AM