Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Wesley Trotman

Default Quinoa was links to good photos?

I had thought that quinoa grew in cold climates(needed), but I see from your
PFAF info that its is primarily a temperate/equatorial plant. I have tried
to obtain some seeds in Oz but no luck. Tara gave me a contact in NZ but
they did not respond to a letter. probably its too difficult to pack and pay
for import into oz.

Winds: In South Oz we have been having a lot of strong winds which is drying
up the small amount of rain we have had this year. I read that in 'El Nino'
periods winds are stronger. Graham , losing your shed is a problem with
winter not too far away, I hope its righted now.

Cheers

Wes

BTW can you tell me a bit more about the quinoa you grew? What

conditions
does it like, how does one harvest it and prepare it to eat etc and

anything
else you can think of.

I got a small amount of seed from Plants For a Future which I planted, of
this only 3 plants made it maturity (problem is it closely resembles Fat
Hen, to which it is related, and which is endemic on my plot as a weed). I
saved most of this as seed, and the following year thickly broadcast it in
my garden, and had a really high germination rate, it was everywhere and
needed loads of thinning out... Even some soak water that I'd poured onto
the ground germinated. anyway, i harvested the heads again, used most of

it
but kept some seed, however ever since have had very poor germination,

maybe
it was a freak year that it did well?? I must admit that I havn't tried it
the last couple of years, tho small scale grain growing is something I'd
like to try again...

PS: send rain urgently, creek has dried to a few permanent water holes

and
"they" are now saying this is the worst drought since 1902. Any

bushfires
this year will be truly disasterous (AND I live in an area which is
supposedly not officially in drought).

Well your welcome to some of ours at the moment... high winds blew my shed
down last weekend and I havn't had a chance to sort it out yet.
Unfortunately it's now dark by the time I usually leave work, so I

explained
to my boss that I had a 'domestic crisis' I had to deal with and he let me
leave work early to sort it out the other day (I think he found it quite
funny that I considered a shed on it's side a 'domestic crisis...'), but

it
was absolutely chucking it down so all i could do was salvage a few tools
and stash them temporarily in my compost bin... Today I was hoping to get
down the allotment but again it's hacking down outside.... And I've got
loads of potatoes that need to come out.... Arrggghhh!!!!

Cheers for now Graham

Quinoa nzlstar* Edible Gardening 2 28-09-2007 04:10 AM
Quinoa Wesley Trotman Permaculture 5 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Quinoa was links to good photos? Graham Burnett Permaculture 11 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
links to good photos? Ivan Gregov Permaculture 4 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
links to good photos? Ivan Gregov Permaculture 8 28-10-2002 11:25 PM