Old 17-12-2005, 01:32 AM posted to bionet.plants

Default Black Soybeans

To Jerry Hoikka,
I am an 8th grade student at Freeburg Middle School in Freeburg,
Illinois. I found your response to a question about black seed coat color in
soybeans. I am also doing a science project on colored soybeans. I am currently
in my 4th year with this project. I am growing yellow, black and mixed
(seeds containing black and yellow pigments) started from the same cultivar. This
year I was hoping to perform a genetic study of the seeds that I have grown.
Is there any way of testing the DNA of my seeds? Is there any way to
develop punnet squares with my seeds? I would also be open to other ideas that
you may have.
In the past I have compared yield of yellow versus black. I have tested
and compared crude protein and crude fat on a NIR(near infrared
spectrometry) machine. I have also studied the health benefits(isoflavones and
proanthocyanidins) of the black seeded glycine max.
I look forward to receiving a response from you.

Sincerely,

Madelaine Heidenreich