Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what would you do with soybeans?

i have some that i planted as a
cover crop and now they are ready
to harvest. amazing what a single
plant can produce.

what would you do with them?

tonight i roasted some of them
and they tasted kinda like popcorn.
i was hoping they'd taste like the
soy nuts we used to buy as a snack.
not quite. perhaps i need to go
for a lower temperature and a longer
roast.

songbird
Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
i have some that i planted as a
cover crop and now they are ready
to harvest. amazing what a single
plant can produce.

what would you do with them?

tonight i roasted some of them
and they tasted kinda like popcorn.
i was hoping they'd taste like the
soy nuts we used to buy as a snack.
not quite. perhaps i need to go
for a lower temperature and a longer
roast.

songbird

Hmmm...
Try searching YouTube.com for "good eats alton brown et tu mame"
Their are two episodes part 1&2, on how to prepare soybeans for eating.
Hope it helps. Good Eats tv show is a favorite show of mine.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird said:

i have some that i planted as a
cover crop and now they are ready
to harvest. amazing what a single
plant can produce.

what would you do with them?

tonight i roasted some of them
and they tasted kinda like popcorn.
i was hoping they'd taste like the
soy nuts we used to buy as a snack.
not quite. perhaps i need to go
for a lower temperature and a longer
roast.

Pick the pods while the beans are still young and tender.
Drop the whole pods in boiling water and boil until the pods
start to split and the beans have the texture of cooked peas.

Chill the pods by running under cold water, pat them dry and
lightly salt.

You eat them by bringing the pods up to your mouth and
squeezing out the beans. (Discard the pods.)

Probably best with a variety meant for fresh eating, and
one fantastic snack. Fun to eat and no tedious shelling.

Edamame. Yummm.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/05/10 6:54 AM, sometime in the recent past Pat Kiewicz posted this:
songbird said:

[...]

Or bring a quart of water with 1 tbs. of salt to a boil, add 2 cups of soy
beans (I like to rub them between my hands in water to remove some of the
'fur',) and set the timer for 5 mins. When timer goes off, drain, sprinkle
with a coarse salt and eat them right away as described in last post above -
I like them warm with no patting dry necessary.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

whups, sorry, i forgot to mention that these
are mostly dried already.

i picked the rest today and snacked on the
few remaining green ones.

i'll probably have 3-5lbs of beans when i
get them out of the shells.

songbird

Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan L wrote:
Hmmm...
Try searching YouTube.com for "good eats alton brown et tu mame"
Their are two episodes part 1&2, on how to prepare soybeans for
eating. Hope it helps. Good Eats tv show is a favorite show of mine.

i wish i had a better connection, but i'm stuck on dialup
at the moment. so youtube searching is not too likely to
help me. however, i think you are talking about the green
kind of soybeans, and i'm talking about the dried kind
that you get at the end of the season.

thank you for your reply. how's the cow coming
along?

songbird
Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird said:

songbird wrote:

whups, sorry, i forgot to mention that these
are mostly dried already.

i picked the rest today and snacked on the
few remaining green ones.

i'll probably have 3-5lbs of beans when i
get them out of the shells.

Well, next time, you'll know to pick them still green.

Or perhaps you'll dedicate some space to growing some for
eating that way. I can recommend the variety 'Beer Friend.'

Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
Hmmm...
Try searching YouTube.com for "good eats alton brown et tu mame"
Their are two episodes part 1&2, on how to prepare soybeans for
eating. Hope it helps. Good Eats tv show is a favorite show of mine.

i wish i had a better connection, but i'm stuck on dialup
at the moment. so youtube searching is not too likely to
help me. however, i think you are talking about the green
kind of soybeans, and i'm talking about the dried kind
that you get at the end of the season.

The show Good Eats is on the food network, that is if you got disk or
cable?

thank you for your reply. how's the cow coming
along?

Bessy is doing just fine. Pregnant and should produce milk around May
and beef two years later.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote:

i have some that i planted as a
cover crop and now they are ready
to harvest. amazing what a single
plant can produce.

what would you do with them?
[...]
whups, sorry, i forgot to mention that these
are mostly dried already.
[...]

Get yourself some tempeh starter and make them into tempeh. IMHO, there
is no better way to eat soybeans than as tempeh.

http://www.tempeh.info/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Tempeh
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...h-Recipes.aspx

If you want to ask some questions about the process, here's a group
dedicated to it:

Here's a couple of places to get the starter:

http://www.tempeh.info/starter/tempeh-starter.php
http://www.gemcultures.com/soy_cultures.htm
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
The planet is in a pickle, but fermenting will help save us
Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ross McKay wrote:

"songbird" wrote:

i have some that i planted as a
cover crop and now they are ready
to harvest. amazing what a single
plant can produce.

what would you do with them?
[...]
whups, sorry, i forgot to mention that these
are mostly dried already.
[...]

Get yourself some tempeh starter and make them into tempeh. IMHO, there
is no better way to eat soybeans than as tempeh.

http://www.tempeh.info/

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Tempeh
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...h-Recipes.aspx

If you want to ask some questions about the process, here's a group
dedicated to it:

Here's a couple of places to get the starter:

http://www.tempeh.info/starter/tempeh-starter.php
http://www.gemcultures.com/soy_cultures.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tempeh-Wi.../dp/1580083358

http://www.gemcultures.com/

I've made it but not in the last five years. Too bland .

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Old 07-10-2010, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 20:13:31 -0400, Bill who putters wrote:

I've made it but not in the last five years. Too bland .

Bland or not, still the best way to eat soybeans

But bland sounds like either you froze / thawed before cooking, or
hot-dip pasteurised it. Fresh cooked tempeh should taste like mushrooms!

Soybeans just aren't that interesting, IMHO. I prefer to make tempeh
(and miso) from other beans that are either more convenient (e.g. chana
dal and split fava beans -- tasty, easy to come by and very little
effort required) or more flavoursome (black beans and borlotti beans
make the tastiest tempeh!)

But if you've got a pile of soybeans ...
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed." - Gandhi
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ross McKay" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 20:13:31 -0400, Bill who putters wrote:

I've made it but not in the last five years. Too bland .

Bland or not, still the best way to eat soybeans

But bland sounds like either you froze / thawed before cooking, or
hot-dip pasteurised it. Fresh cooked tempeh should taste like mushrooms!

Soybeans just aren't that interesting, IMHO. I prefer to make tempeh
(and miso) from other beans that are either more convenient (e.g. chana
dal and split fava beans -- tasty, easy to come by and very little
effort required) or more flavoursome (black beans and borlotti beans
make the tastiest tempeh!)

But if you've got a pile of soybeans ...
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed." - Gandhi

I was gonna say soy beans give me serious gas. But I do eat miso paste and
make jap fish soup. I bought an old miso book about a year ago, I think it
was the book of miso. but decided buying it was way easier.

But you say make your own miso??Or tempah. Care to expand on that
statement.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ross McKay wrote:
Get yourself some tempeh starter and make them into tempeh. IMHO,
there is no better way to eat soybeans than as tempeh.

thank you for the suggestion.

how does the taste compare to tofu?

the flavor is described as mushroomy
which is good.

i don't mind bland at times, i've eaten plain
tofu and it's fine with me.

songbird
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:10:57 -0400, "DogDiesel" wrote:

I was gonna say soy beans give me serious gas. But I do eat miso paste and
make jap fish soup. I bought an old miso book about a year ago, I think it
was the book of miso. but decided buying it was way easier.

But you say make your own miso??Or tempah. Care to expand on that
statement.

Buying is always easier, and it gives you a reliable product. With miso,
the product is really good. IME, bought tempeh is a pale imitation of
freshly made tempeh, as it has lost its texture and flavour.

I made some miso / fermented bean pastes a few years ago (and need to
repeat the experience -- well worthwhile). I made some with soybeans,
some with chana dal (chickpeas), and some with fava beans. Still haven't
tried the chickpea one, but its time must be near now. The others were /
are great! Quite amazing what a simple pile of beans can turn into with
a little encouragement. I made some with "proper" miso starter (spore
from the mould Aspergillus oryzae), and some with a mixed starter that
the Chinese use to make rice wine (comes in a ball, has Aspergillus
oryzae as well as some other things). All good. See here for details, or
the Book of Miso (very good book).

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Foodpia/1751/miso.html
http://www.fuchu.or.jp/~kanemitu/misomaking.htm
http://www.mixph.com/2006/07/making-...-soybeans.html

Get the starter here (or get some balls of "wine yeast" from a Chinese
grocer):

http://www.gemcultures.com/soy_cultures.htm
http://www.tibbs-vision.com/sake/

I make tempeh when I feel like it, usually in summer when it's easier to
keep the temperature right (on a hot summer's day here, there is nothing
special to do!) See previous post for links on making tempeh and where
to get the tempeh starter.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Tuesday is Soylent Green day"
Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:29:24 -0400, "songbird" wrote:

thank you for the suggestion.

how does the taste compare to tofu?

the flavor is described as mushroomy
which is good.

Nothing like tofu. For a start, you get almost all of the bean (except
the hull), whereas tofu is a protein extract from the bean with the bulk
left behind (although you can make a tempeh from it -- tempe gembus is
made from okara, the solids left from making tofu and soy milk.)

When cooked fresh, it really does taste like a fusion of mushrooms and
beans. Very nice diced and stir-fried, or cut into fingers and
pan-fried. Most recipes marinate in brine or a soy sauce marinade, but I
don't generally bother.

I know of someone who combines the two concepts though, and makes his
own stinky tofu by covering cubes of tofu with tempeh starter. Makes it
somewhat like a rich, smelly cheese

i don't mind bland at times, i've eaten plain
tofu and it's fine with me.

I find the tempeh made with soybeans is very mild compared to tempeh
made with some other beans, but when cooked fresh it still has a nice
flavour and will pick up flavours from whatever you cook it in.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"