Old 23-08-2005, 06:46 AM

Default which of these four is the easiest cutting propagation

I have an experiment at the moment as to cutting propagation on
blue-spruce, taxus species, arborvitae species, juniper species. I want
to know which takes more readily to cutting propagation. And the early
indications are that arborvitae is the easiest and fastest to propagate
with taxus in second place. And which of blue-spruce or juniper comes
in third or fourth. But I admit that I use sand as a medium whereas
others probably use perlite mix with sphaghum or peat moss.

Has anyone derived the data on these four?

Also a question on taxus. Is the tallest taxus the cuspidata capitata.
Somehow from youth I had the impression that yew trees grew native to
England and where huge tall trees. But according to this capitata, yew
trees are not tall. And if yew trees are native to England then it
seems as though they would need alot of water, not standing water but
alot of rainfall.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 23-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Don't you know how to search Google or Agricola yet, Archie?

Does your mother know you are on her computer making a fool of yourself
again?

ups.com...

Old 24-08-2005, 08:38 PM

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

1) Yew (Taxus baccata) is native to England.
2) Huge in the context of yews means the diameter of the bole. (Girths
of 9 to 10 m, but heights of 10 to 25m; figures taken from Mitchell.)
3) Not all of England has high rainfall.
4) And it is not necessarily the case that all species (or varieties) of
a genus require the same conditions.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yes thanks, I had a look at baccata in a web search, but a question
arose over the fact of English yew compared to Japanese yew. It says
that Hungary or surrounding countries make it illegal to cut down yews
but they are not native there. The question is whether Japanese yew is
native to Japan, and if so, how in the world did they get there. Was it
an independent evolution of yew for England and for Japan and what is
the ancestor of yew to make that possible or was it that a English yew
some millions of years ago transported to Japan and evolved a different
species.

I guess the same question could be asked about English walnuts and
black walnuts native to USA. Did the English walnut and black walnut
evolve from distant ancient stock and totally independent of one
another or was the English Walnut in ancient past time transported to
the USA and evolved into a new species from the English walnut.

In both cases, yews and walnuts, I want to know if they evolved
independent of one another or dependent of one another?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 24-08-2005, 11:51 PM
V_coerulea

What junipers are you talking about? I've rooted most varieties of low
growing junipers very easily (by the 100's in the past). The taller growing
junipers seem a bit more difficult unless under mist. Sometimes winter
cuttings did better. Red cedar, J virginiana, and its varieties was the most
difficult.
Gary
..
ups.com...

Old 25-08-2005, 08:01 PM

What junipers are you talking about? I've rooted most varieties of low
growing junipers very easily (by the 100's in the past). The taller
growing
junipers seem a bit more difficult unless under mist. Sometimes winter
cuttings did better. Red cedar, J virginiana, and its varieties was the
most
difficult.
Gary

I am talking about the tall junipers and they seem as difficult to root
as does blue spruce. Have you ever rooted blue-spruce and which of
these two-- blue spruce or red cedar are the most difficult.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium