Old 09-09-2005, 06:28 AM

Default black walnut as a soil conditioner for pinenut trees

Just when I thought I would give up completely on pinenut trees, I find
a pinus pinea, Italian Stone pine doing very well. I believe it is
doing so well because it is under a black walnut tree whose juglone is
making the soil acid.

I wonder if blueberries which require acid soil can live in alkaline
soil surrounded by black walnut trees. I had heard some people
condition their soil by adding chemicals and even coffee grounds to
grow blueberries but sounds like too much toil.

So I wonder if black walnuts are an answer for alkaline soil.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium