Old 31-10-2005, 12:58 PM
John Sullivan

Default General enqiry please

Does anyone please know of a group to which I could post scanned and/or
digital images of plants for the purpose of help with identification?

I do NOT have a website.

Old 31-10-2005, 01:02 PM
John Sullivan

PS I have tried alt.binaries.pictures.nature but found that the necessary
level of knowledge is not forthcoming.

Old 31-10-2005, 03:59 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

"John Sullivan" schreef
PS I have tried alt.binaries.pictures.nature but found that the necessary
level of knowledge is not forthcoming.

***
As I understand it, alt.binaries.pictures.gardens should work.
You could post there and then ask here
PvR

Old 31-10-2005, 05:19 PM
John Sullivan

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
"John Sullivan" schreef
PS I have tried alt.binaries.pictures.nature but found that the

necessary
level of knowledge is not forthcoming.

***
As I understand it, alt.binaries.pictures.gardens should work.
You could post there and then ask here

Thanks, but I am talking about wild plants.

Old 31-10-2005, 07:16 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

"John Sullivan" schreef
Thanks, but I am talking about wild plants.

***
If you follow up by posting the question here, it really does not matter
what binary newsgroup the pictures are in. And alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
is as good as any, and better than some. If you don't have access to a
website of your own you have to make do.

In the past somebody, once, did post a picture here, but I would not know if
that would still work.
PvR

Old 31-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Dear John,

Stop being such a prissy fusspot snob and just post the darn pictures to
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens already. Who are you to judge the level of
knowledge of people you don't even know? There are people there who
obviously know far more than you do.

It doesn't matter what the origin of your plant is. It it exists, it will
have a name.

You will be surprised of the level of knowledge of the lurkers there.
Someone will step up and ID your plant.

BTW, its spelled "inquiry" And if its general, it certainly can't be that
difficult.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:01 AM
John Sullivan

BTW, its spelled "inquiry"

Not in the UK.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Post the freaking pictures already.

"John Sullivan" wrote in message
news

BTW, its spelled "inquiry"

Not in the UK.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:17 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Do note that Cereoid is addicted to identifying plants. He is desperate for
his fix. By his lights, this is good behaviour, and it may well deteriorate
as withdrawal symptoms set in.
PvR

Old 01-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Yeah sure, Rinkytink.
The pot's calling a pot a pot again, you pothead.
No different you are.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Kye

Whilst Cereus may have issues with people who are lacking in intelligence,
his accuracy with identification of plants is so awe inspiring that I have
spent many a month trying to figure out who he is so that when I stumble
across him in real life I may bow at his feet and give homage, after which I
would offer employment and haggle a wage(not that I would expect to be able
to afford him). Do not mind his ascerbic nature, after all they say that you
reflect your name so I expect that at times he will be a little thorny.

I have never seen Cereus be less than well mannered to those who are well
meaning with their questions and admit to their own lack of knowledge. (In
fact, I have known him to be as gentle as a lamb at times)

Kye.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:00 PM
John Sullivan

"Kye" wrote in message
Whilst Cereus may have issues with people who are lacking in intelligence,

I rather feel, and certainly hope, that he has made rather too early a
judgment about me on that count.

Nit-picking to the level of spelling corrections, especially when
inaccurate, is not necessarily a major pointer as to the intelligence of the
perpetrator. But then, maybe he is of that ilk that feels that the US can do
no wrong, and/or that there is a world beyond it's boundaries.. Maybe he is
unaware of the theory that we are two nations separated by a common
language. (;-)

Not much chance of my benefitting from his, obviously well respected
botanical knowledge now, I suspect.

The 'freaking' pics should now have commenced to arrive. Is that a
diminutive, politically correct version of frigging or worse? (:-)

Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 AM
Peter Jason

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Do note that Cereoid is addicted to identifying plants. He is desperate
for
his fix. By his lights, this is good behaviour, and it may well
deteriorate
as withdrawal symptoms set in.
PvR

I guess he's smoked them all!