Old 27-12-2005, 03:35 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Identify a fruit shrub

I was given a glass of juice which was very good. The person showed me
a shrub (4 to 5 feet high), that the fruit came from. Can anyone help
me identify it? The leaves are about 4 to five inches long and grouped
in three. There is a fruit that looked like a nickle sized bulb that is
shrouded in a dark red petal-like structure...there were seperate
delicate looking flowers.

The leaves are sort of flat -not shiny and are deep green with red
veins. Stems are red too. I can e-mail a picture of the fruit and
leaves.

Old 27-12-2005, 07:23 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner

wrote in message
oups.com...

I was given a glass of juice which was very good. The person showed me
a shrub (4 to 5 feet high), that the fruit came from. Can anyone help
me identify it? The leaves are about 4 to five inches long and grouped
in three. There is a fruit that looked like a nickle sized bulb that is
shrouded in a dark red petal-like structure...there were seperate
delicate looking flowers.

The leaves are sort of flat -not shiny and are deep green with red
veins. Stems are red too. I can e-mail a picture of the fruit and
leaves.

Somehow this description reminds me of Roselle [Hibiscus sabdariffa].
The leaves may be deeply three-lobed, and the juicy red part surrounds
the fruit. It is used in teas and other beverages.

Compa
http://www.floridata.com/ref/H/hibi_sab.cfm
http://www.quezon.org/roselle/
http://linnaeus.nrm.se/botany/fbo/h/...ibisab.html.se
http://aitongsch.cbn.com.sg/organicf...le/Roselle.htm
http://home.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/shoyak...sabdariffa.jpg
http://home.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/shoyak...i/Hibiscus.jpg
etc.

Am I on the right track?

cheers

Old 27-12-2005, 10:06 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

You nailed it. This is definitely the plant. Thanks. I'm not sure how
this drink was made...I am now wondering if it wasn't mixed with grape
juice.