Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Wales
Default Can anyone help me identify a shrub in our garden? It has green fruit (?)....

Hello

I am new to gardening and therefore to this website and we have recently moved into house with huge garden and we are feeling quite overwhelmed but love it (sort of). We are trying to keep a diary of what we are doing and trying to learn the names of all our plants.

I wondered whether anyone can tell me what type of shrub we have in our garden - it has green fruit, the size of a large walnut that turn yellow later in the year. Does anyone know what it is?

Thank you very much for any replies.

Chrissie
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I wondered whether anyone can tell me what type of shrub we have in our
garden - it has green fruit, the size of a large walnut that turn yellow
later in the year. Does anyone know what it is?

Quince?

Al.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-02 21:29:14 +0100, ChrissieD
said:

Hello

I am new to gardening and therefore to this website and we have
recently moved into house with huge garden and we are feeling quite
overwhelmed but love it (sort of). We are trying to keep a diary of
what we are doing and trying to learn the names of all our plants.

I wondered whether anyone can tell me what type of shrub we have in our
garden - it has green fruit, the size of a large walnut that turn yellow
later in the year. Does anyone know what it is?

Thank you very much for any replies.

Chrissie

Can you take a photo and post it to e.g. tinypic with a link to urg so
that we can see it? We've recently had a discussion about Prunus and
plums and damsons and mirabelles etc. It's in the thread called
Unknown fruit, if you subscribe directly to uk.rec.gardening. It's
possible your fruit is some kind of Chaenomeles aka Japanese quince.
Usually, these are grown against a wall and have coral, red, pink or
white flowers in late winter/early spring
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al[_4_] View Post
I wondered whether anyone can tell me what type of shrub we have in our
garden - it has green fruit, the size of a large walnut that turn yellow
later in the year. Does anyone know what it is?

Quince?
It's impossible to know without a picture, but the most common thing of that description is Chaenomeles japonica, colloquially known as Japonica or Japanese Quince. It won't be true quince, that's a tree.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
It's impossible to know without a picture, but the most common thing of that description is Chaenomeles japonica, colloquially known as Japonica or Japanese Quince. It won't be true quince, that's a tree.

It can still be used to make a good, astringent jelly.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

I am new to gardening and therefore to this website

Not a website! It's a newsgroup, which you are reading via a website.
Most of us are reading it via newsreader software, which lays out all
the threads in an easier-to-follow fashion.

and we have
recently moved into house with huge garden and we are feeling quite
overwhelmed but love it (sort of). We are trying to keep a diary of
what we are doing and trying to learn the names of all our plants.

I wondered whether anyone can tell me what type of shrub we have in our
garden - it has green fruit, the size of a large walnut that turn
yellow
later in the year. Does anyone know what it is?

As others have said, there's a good chance it's a japanese quince or
chaenomeles. Slightly leathery green oval leaves about an inch long.
Abundant 5-petalled flowers in spring in any shade from pale pink to
brilliant orange or red.
--
Kay