Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 AM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
donald haarmann

Default element or compound in tree bark that it burns with too much ash

"Farooq W"

| My fault... Its ppm for entries below SO3. More surprising the uptake
| of heavy metals especially Th and U by the plants...Barium is
| abnormally high or the soil on which that tree grew was rich in barium
| ores!

-------------
The up take of uranium by plants is well know. See for example :-

Botanical Prospecting for Uranium on La Ventana Mesa, Sandoval County
New Mexico. US Geological Survey Bulletin 1009-M. 1956.

Some plants uptake serious amounts of selenium.

Description of Indicator Plants and Methods of Botanical Prospecting for
Uranium Deposits on the Colorado Plateau. US Geological Survey Bulletin
1030-M. 1957.

--
donald j haarmann
-----------------------

Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
Bob

-------------
The up take of uranium by plants is well know. See for example :-

Botanical Prospecting for Uranium on La Ventana Mesa, Sandoval County
New Mexico. US Geological Survey Bulletin 1009-M. 1956.

Some plants uptake serious amounts of selenium.

A Berkeley group is developing the use of a plant for Se
decontamination of soil. It is in field testing. (I could probably
find a ref if someone wants it.)

Then there are the Ni accumulators, which have several percent Ni in
their sap, nicely chelated (citrate, I think).

bob

Old 19-03-2006, 06:00 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany

Bob wrote:
A Berkeley group is developing the use of a plant for Se
decontamination of soil. It is in field testing. (I could probably
find a ref if someone wants it.)

Then there are the Ni accumulators, which have several percent Ni in
their sap, nicely chelated (citrate, I think).

A.P. writes:
Bob, can you say anything theoretical about the periodic chart of
chemical elements as to that of fire, burning and ash. Consider that
the elements to making fire are oxygen, carbon which are far to the
right of the chart in rows 4A, 6A and that potassium of ashes is in row
1A far to the left in the chart. So is there some chart relationship as
to fire and burning and the ash remaining afterwards. Is the act of
fire some sort of acid base reaction.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
Michael Hearne

-------------
The up take of uranium by plants is well know. See for example :-

Botanical Prospecting for Uranium on La Ventana Mesa, Sandoval County
New Mexico. US Geological Survey Bulletin 1009-M. 1956.

Some plants uptake serious amounts of selenium.

Description of Indicator Plants and Methods of Botanical Prospecting for
Uranium Deposits on the Colorado Plateau. US Geological Survey Bulletin
1030-M. 1957.

Well that is truly interesting to me. Could I possibly compress one of
these high selenium content plants and use that substance electrically?
That is, could it be carbonized (such as charcoal) and then further
processed without special tools?

The selenium rectifier was the first semi-conductor device ever
created, not including detector diodes. It was invented in 1933 by C.E.
Fitts, and was being built by Sylvania about 1935. If you remember
tubes, RCA had the monopoly from 1919 until 1941. Sylvania was a
competitor, but they built military stuff, and unlike the tubes built by
RCA, Sylvania's were encased in metal, rather than glass.

Please see: "Road to the Transistor"

http://www.jmargolin.com/history/trans.htm

Sylvania built a lot of heavy industrial and military components, and
the invention of the selenium rectifier was a way to eliminate a
(breakable) tube. They also produced the last tube built in the United
States, in 1977.

I like to think that if I suddenly found myself to be naked in the
wilderness, that I would have the potential to make anything at all that
we have now. Unfortunately, selenium is toxic, so the device would have
to be well encased.

Ah! How to make natural epoxy? More; how to draw wire from a stone?

Michael
Old 15-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered User

Shah Polymers developing and marketing, Suppliers of Engineering Plastics, Polyacetal (POM), Polycarbonate, Polyurethane (PU), Polymers, Acrylic, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), PVDF Suppliers, Styrene Acrylonitrile (SAN), PolyUrethane (PU), Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), Poly acetyl, K Resin (NSBC), Nylon (PA 6, 66), manufacturing and marketing superior quality Polycarbonates Sheets for the building and construction industry in Bangalore, India.Polyacetal (POM), Polycarbonate, Polyurethane PU, K Resin (NSBC), Engineering Plastics, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), Nylon (PA 6, 66), Acrylic (PMMA), polyvinylidene fluoride suppliers, Shah Polymers, Manufacturers, Bangalore, India.