Old 16-03-2006, 07:54 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Mareyn

Default Nomenclature Question

Good afternoon,

My boss just came to me and asked, "Do you have any idea what the
"n.o." in front of a botanical family name means?"

Now, I probably knew the answer to this back when I was in college, but
it has since been purged from my mind. I've been looking through the
International Code of Botanical Nonmenclature trying to figure this
out, but I'm having no luck.

Does anyone happen to know the answer to this, right off the top of
their heads?

example: n.o. Aristolochiaceae

Thanks for your help!

Old 16-03-2006, 08:18 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message . com,
Mareyn writes
Good afternoon,

My boss just came to me and asked, "Do you have any idea what the
"n.o." in front of a botanical family name means?"

Now, I probably knew the answer to this back when I was in college, but
it has since been purged from my mind. I've been looking through the
International Code of Botanical Nonmenclature trying to figure this
out, but I'm having no luck.

Does anyone happen to know the answer to this, right off the top of
their heads?

example: n.o. Aristolochiaceae

Thanks for your help!

It's new to me as well. In the absence of any context, I'd take a guess
that it might be "natural order".
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-03-2006, 09:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Nadia Talent

I'm guessing that would be "natural order", i.e. "ordo naturalis" in
Latin. Herbalists seem to use the term a lot. See ICBN article 18.2
for a list of these old terms that should be translated into "family".

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:54:35 -0700, Mareyn wrote
(in article . com):

My boss just came to me and asked, "Do you have any idea what the
"n.o." in front of a botanical family name means?"

Now, I probably knew the answer to this back when I was in college, but
it has since been purged from my mind. I've been looking through the
International Code of Botanical Nonmenclature trying to figure this
out, but I'm having no luck.

Does anyone happen to know the answer to this, right off the top of
their heads?

example: n.o. Aristolochiaceae

Thanks for your help!

Nadia Talent
Department of Botany, University of Toronto,
25 Willcocks Street, Toronto, M5S 3B2, Canada
Fax +1 416-978-5878
Also: Department of Natural History,
Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park West, Toronto, M5S 2C6

Old 16-03-2006, 09:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Mareyn

I'm finding it mainly in article titles and on sites that reference
medicinal uses.

This is a link to a PubMed reference that has the n.o. in the title:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

And here is a link to a botanical site that I've been perusing:
http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/snaker56.html

When I search sites such as the USDA Plants Database, the n.o. doesn't
appear.

Thanks!

Old 16-03-2006, 09:49 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley" schreef
example: n.o. Aristolochiaceae

It's new to me as well. In the absence of any context, I'd take a guess
that it might be "natural order".
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

***
I probably would not have thought of that, but it looks like a good guess to
me. Must be something like a century since this was used in botany?
PvR

Nomenclature boothbay Orchids 3 17-06-2005 09:19 PM
Nomenclature question Xi Wang Orchids 3 23-01-2005 05:41 PM
Raspberry nomenclature Mike Lyle Plant Science 2 02-08-2004 05:45 PM
Researching nomenclature changes (gonolobus to matelea) David Hamilton Cox Plant Science 3 30-05-2004 06:09 PM
nomenclature Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 24-09-2003 08:12 PM