Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.bio.botany

Default kudzu

In article , Julia Altshuler wrote:
Blair P. Houghton wrote: http://www.a-spi.org/tp/tp55.htm

Thanks for that informative site. I got the information about kudzu
starch giving creamier results than corn starch right but had never
known how it was made.

We've all probably seen this before, but it makes me laugh every time
anyway so here goes: http://www.locksley.com/kudzu.htm

Hah! That seems to be the site missing from the link at the bottom of
this page: http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzu/
which has some spectacular photos of kudzu on the rampage!
Some of the images are clickable and will take you to a gallery of
other images on the topic e.g. Houses [immersed in kudzu!].

Here's a bit more stuff on culinary and medicinal uses:
http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/kudzu.html

To scare yourself witless, have a squiz at the known compounds:
http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub...duke/plantdisp.
xsql?taxon=804 [ Or try http://tinyurl.com/qhx5d for that one.]

or, if you prefer, their activities:
http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/pl_act.xsql?taxon=804

Kudzu is a "declared" weed in at least some parts of Australia:
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.
au/agriculture/noxweed/noxious-app?
sq_content_src=aHR0cDovL3d3d2kuYWdyaWMubnN3Lmdvdi5 hdS9hcHBzL3ZpZXd3ZWV
kLmh0bWw%253D&weed_id=76

Oh, gawd! Make that http://tinyurl.com/fp2kv

According to that URL, kudzu "... must be fully and continuously
suppressed and destroyed" in the named shires in NE NSW.
(And I suspect the operative word here is "continuously".

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.bio.botany

Phred wrote:

Kudzu is a "declared" weed in at least some parts of Australia:

Kudzu declared? For what office? I knew it was noxious,
but I didn't realize it was intelligent enough to get on
the ballot.

Wait. What am I saying...

--Blair
Old 08-08-2006, 05:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.bio.botany

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Phred wrote:

Kudzu is a "declared" weed in at least some parts of Australia:

Kudzu declared? For what office? I knew it was noxious,
but I didn't realize it was intelligent enough to get on
the ballot.

Wait. What am I saying...

Remember that movie _Day of the Triffids_...???

--
Best
Greg

Kudzu v. Grape Lane Gray, Czar Castic Gardening 0 21-06-2005 03:47 AM
Need Help Trying To Grow Kudzu [email protected] Gardening 0 14-06-2005 02:23 AM
Possibly NOT Kudzu!!! Harvey Gardening 2 26-11-2003 06:32 PM
Deadly Kudzu? DavesVideo Gardening 8 07-06-2003 10:08 PM
evil kudzu. griffon Gardening 6 19-05-2003 01:32 PM