Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Odd tree in Panama

We recently bought property in the mountains of Panama. On this
property there is a tree (~40' tall) with very peculiar
characteristics. Perhaps someone can help in determining if it is
truly strange or otherwise not so unusual.

This tree has two types of leaves. In some places it has broad leaves
similar to maple leaves, while in others it has elongated narrow
leaves, similar to eucalyptus. As we have seen, the leaf locations
change with time. Early in the rainy season, it had mostly the broad
leaves, but 3 months later had switched to the narrow variety.
Although there is some grouping of the leaves, they are not limb
specific and the two leaf types can be found side by side.

Can anyone help? I will worry about the exact identification later.

BenS

Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

benS wrote:
We recently bought property in the mountains of Panama. On this
property there is a tree (~40' tall) with very peculiar
characteristics. Perhaps someone can help in determining if it is
truly strange or otherwise not so unusual.

This tree has two types of leaves. In some places it has broad leaves
similar to maple leaves, while in others it has elongated narrow
leaves, similar to eucalyptus. As we have seen, the leaf locations
change with time. Early in the rainy season, it had mostly the broad
leaves, but 3 months later had switched to the narrow variety.
Although there is some grouping of the leaves, they are not limb
specific and the two leaf types can be found side by side.

Can anyone help? I will worry about the exact identification later.

BenS

Please try to describe the tree in common botanical vernacular and the
respected experts here will likely help you.

-Echosyn

Panama Pacific ~ janj JJsPond.us Ponds 0 14-07-2005 08:41 PM
my brother's odd tree. pammyT United Kingdom 4 20-06-2005 04:20 PM
Odd Fruit Tree Question 99windstar Gardening 10 11-02-2005 02:02 PM
[IBC] Odd distinctions Andy Rutledge Bonsai 24 13-03-2003 10:45 PM
OT, slightly odd but very genuine plea for help Paul Meech United Kingdom 6 30-11-2002 08:48 PM