Old 17-12-2006, 05:38 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default "Trailing Jasmine"

Hello.

I have heard the expression "trailing Jasmine" so many times it numbs
the mind. What I would like to know is the scientific name. Is that
expression sufficient or is there an equally mind-numbing number of taxa
associated with the common name "trailing Jasmine"?

Thank you one and all for any enlightenment you might be able to provide.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Pierre A Plauzoles
(using my wife's Internet access because my own present ISP does not
believe in giving access to newsgroups)

Old 17-12-2006, 10:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

The common name jasmine is applied to most members of the genus
Jasminum, but also to species in several other genera. Many Jasminum
species could be considered trailing, because many are vines or
spreading shrubs. Trailing jasmine could accurately be applied to many
Jasminum species. Common or vernacular plant names alone are often
nearly useless because some species have many common names, and anyone
can make up a new common name.

The following webpage applied the common name trailing jasmine to
Gardenia jasmonoides 'Radicans' but that species is more often called
trailing gardenia.
http://www.gardensoft.com/products/P...6.7_plants.pdf

David R. Hershey

Kathleen Moon wrote:
Hello.

I have heard the expression "trailing Jasmine" so many times it numbs
the mind. What I would like to know is the scientific name. Is that
expression sufficient or is there an equally mind-numbing number of taxa
associated with the common name "trailing Jasmine"?

Thank you one and all for any enlightenment you might be able to provide.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Pierre A Plauzoles
(using my wife's Internet access because my own present ISP does not
believe in giving access to newsgroups)

Vinca Minor - Trailing/Cascading? Stephen M. Henning Gardening 0 14-03-2004 03:48 PM
any info about "black jasmine"? Ross Plant Science 0 02-12-2003 06:55 PM
Wall trailing plants? paddytt United Kingdom 1 12-10-2003 10:42 PM
Trailing fushia Seven United Kingdom 8 09-10-2003 08:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM