Old 18-04-2007, 03:52 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID needed: Florida tree

Can someone please ID this tree growing with beautiful bark in northern Florida?

Bark:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...k/florida1.jpg
Leaves:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...k/florida2.jpg

Thank you.
--

-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Old 20-04-2007, 04:10 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Andy Schecter wrote:
Can someone please ID this tree growing with beautiful bark in northern
Florida?

Bark:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...k/florida1.jpg
Leaves:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...k/florida2.jpg

Thank you.

Andy,

The second photo shows leaves, stems, and flowers that look right for
Ilex x attenuata (I. cassine x I. opaca), probably the cultivar 'East
Palatka'. But the photo of the colorful trunk is puzzling -- some of
the color may be lichens, but I'm wondering -- might someone actually
have painted it? Some mottling is normal on holly trunks, but that one
is amazing.
Old 21-04-2007, 04:27 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Malcolm Manners wrote:
The second photo shows leaves, stems, and flowers that look right for
Ilex x attenuata (I. cassine x I. opaca), probably the cultivar 'East
Palatka'. But the photo of the colorful trunk is puzzling -- some of
the color may be lichens, but I'm wondering -- might someone actually
have painted it? Some mottling is normal on holly trunks, but that one
is amazing.

Thank you Malcolm. I will ask my sister -- she saw the tree and took the
photos. The colors ARE rather striking! :-)