Old 08-05-2007, 06:45 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID Grass

Piedmont area of South Carolina. Xeric pine forest. This grass is a
real nuisance. Needle grass? Wire grass? Neither seem exactly right
but I'm new to this. What have I forgotten to include?

See photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Raphanus" schreef
Piedmont area of South Carolina. Xeric pine forest. This grass is a
real nuisance. Needle grass? Wire grass? Neither seem exactly right
but I'm new to this. What have I forgotten to include?

See photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

Thanks!

***
My hat off to anybody who can identify this from these pictures!

Pictures of grass should preferably include the inflorescence /
infructescence. Sometimes a grass in the vegetative state can be identified
(not easy); and a good spot to include in a photograph is where the sheath
of the leaf opens and the blade angles away. Quite often, to know what
details are important to focus on, one has to some idea what general group
the grass belongs to.
PvR

Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On May 8, 2:32 pm, "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
"Raphanus" schreef

Piedmont area of South Carolina. Xeric pine forest. This grass is a
real nuisance. Needle grass? Wire grass? Neither seem exactly right
but I'm new to this. What have I forgotten to include?

See photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

Thanks!

***
My hat off to anybody who can identify this from these pictures!

Pictures of grass should preferably include the inflorescence /
infructescence. Sometimes a grass in the vegetative state can be identified
(not easy); and a good spot to include in a photograph is where the sheath
of the leaf opens and the blade angles away. Quite often, to know what
details are important to focus on, one has to some idea what general group
the grass belongs to.
PvR

Sorry...I've taken the photos down.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Raphanus" schreef
Sorry...I've taken the photos down.

***
Well, I am not saying it is impossible.

There might be somebody who knows the area, and is really good. But it would
be quite an achievement!

PvR

Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Raphanus" wrote in message
oups.com...
Piedmont area of South Carolina. Xeric pine forest. This grass is a
real nuisance. Needle grass? Wire grass? Neither seem exactly right
but I'm new to this. What have I forgotten to include?

See photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

Well, it sounds like you've seen a good example of a now rather
endangered natural habitat type. Is it something like

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/gallery/d...e_grass049.jpg ?
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/reg...regrass_lg.jpg

Wiregrass isn't so much a "nuisance" as a characteristic and
important part of the longleaf pine/wiregrass savanna plant
community of the Southeast US, which is now largely lost or
destroyed [it's adapted to/dependent on frequent fires]:

http://www.fws.gov/carolinasandhills/longleaf.html
http://www.fws.gov/southeast/partners/pfwpine.html
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/cede_longleaf/2
http://www.auburn.edu/academic/fores...gleafalliance/

From
http://www.jonesctr.org/research/llp...storation.html :

"Three-awn wiregrass (Aristida beyrichiana) is considered to be a
keystone species in the longleaf pine-wiregrass ecosystem because of
its flammability, its role in facilitating fuel accumulation, its
cover for bird nesting, and its structural dominance of the ground
cover. The presence of wiregrass is often used to indicate relatively
undisturbed longleaf pine communities because wiregrass is not known
to re-establish dominance on previously cultivated sites and is less
vigorous without periodic fire disturbance.

The pines may in fact need the grass:
http://forestry.about.com/b/a/006455.htm

Even if not, other organisms might:
http://www.lakejacksonturtles.org/aresco/tortoise.html