Old 29-05-2007, 03:14 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default help:Salvia verbenace ?

I am a student now want to konw the person who named Salvia verbenace
(?) to complete my article.If you know please mail me .Thank you very
much !

Old 29-05-2007, 11:33 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message .com,
writes
I am a student now want to konw the person who named Salvia verbenace
(?) to complete my article.If you know please mail me .Thank you very
much !

This information is readily obtainable from the International Plant Name
http://www.ipni.org). BTW, the correct spelling is Salvia
verbenaca.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-05-2007, 08:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"kauhl-meersburg" schreef
conforming my book (P. Fournier - 4 flores e France) c'¨¦tait Briquet

***
Yes, that is the problem, to find a reliable reference. Often IPNI lacks the depth that you will find in a real reference.

However, in this case it looks to me that IPNI is correct. Anyway, TROPICOS agrees with IPNI here. Also the local flora that I have here (of very good reputation).
PvR
Old 29-05-2007, 10:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a student now want to konw the person who named Salvia verbenace
(?) to complete my article.If you know please mail me .Thank you very
much !

Try searching for both "Salvia verbenacea" and "Salvia verbenaca"
for info on this plant.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search

I see links indicating "Salvia verbenacea L." or "Salvia verbenaca L." ,
so the author should be Linneaus.

One question seems to be which is the correct spelling of the
specific epithet. Both seem to be widely used.
cheers

Old 30-05-2007, 10:28 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner" schreef
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search

One question seems to be which is the correct spelling of the
specific epithet. Both seem to be widely used.

***
There are 19 600 Google hit for the one versus 412 for the other.
I'd say that is pretty overwhelming in favor of the one spelling
PvR

Old 30-05-2007, 10:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
"mel turner" schreef

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rbenac ea%22&
btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rbenac a%22&b
tnG=Search

One question seems to be which is the correct spelling of the
specific epithet. Both seem to be widely used.

***
There are 19 600 Google hit for the one versus 412 for the other.
I'd say that is pretty overwhelming in favor of the one spelling

FWIW, here's an extract from a search for "Salvia" on the Australian
Plant Name Index (APNI) maintained by the Australian National
Herbarium at http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/apni

quoting
Lamiaceae
Salvia verbenaca L.
Linnaeus, C. von (1753), Species Plantarum Edn. 1, 1: 25

Type: "Habitat in Europae pascuis."

Bentham, G. (1870), Flora Australiensis 5: 86
Hamilton, A.G. (1892) Journal of the Royal Society of New South Wales
26: 236
Green, P.S. in Wilson, A.J.G. (Ed) (1994), Flora of Australia 49: 320
Conn, B.J. in Walsh, N.G. & Entwisle, T.J. (Ed) (1999), Flora of
Victoria 4: 429

synonym: Salvia horminoides Pourr.

Common Name: Wild Sage
/quoting

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 30-05-2007, 11:05 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , P. van
Rijckevorsel writes
"mel turner" schreef

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...salvia+verbena
cea%22&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...salvia+verbena
ca%22&btnG=Search

One question seems to be which is the correct spelling of the
specific epithet. Both seem to be widely used.

***
There are 19 600 Google hit for the one versus 412 for the other.
I'd say that is pretty overwhelming in favor of the one spelling
PvR

USDA has verbenacea as an orthographic variant.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SAVE12
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley