Old 26-07-2007, 08:40 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default I suspect this Virginia Tech website on Rock-Elm has several errors of fact-- need experts to confirm

http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrolo...eet.cfm?ID=135

I suspect that the seeds of this Virginia Tech website are not that of
"Rock Elm" Ulmus Thomasii (Racemosa)
but rather instead the seeds of Siberian Elm. And I have doubts on the
bark of that tree as to being
a "Cork Elm".

I buy the leaf sprouts and branch and leaf, but I am highly suspicious
of the seed and the bark and the
picture.

Perhaps the person who composed that website had a variety of pictures
and cobbled them together,
not realizing that some were Siberian Elm and not Rock Elm.

Maybe others can judge and hopefully get the website as error-free.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 26-07-2007, 04:35 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"a_plutonium" schreef
http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrolo...eet.cfm?ID=135

I suspect that the seeds of this Virginia Tech website are not that of
"Rock Elm" Ulmus Thomasii (Racemosa)

***
Well, you may have something there. These fruits do look very odd.
PvR

Old 27-07-2007, 09:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
"a_plutonium" schreef
http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrolo...eet.cfm?ID=135

I suspect that the seeds of this Virginia Tech website are not that of
"Rock Elm" Ulmus Thomasii (Racemosa)

***
Well, you may have something there. These fruits do look very odd.
PvR

Looking at those pictures, the buds on the twig do look like a Rock-
Elm.

But the corky twig looks more like a burr-oak corky twig.

And the fruits look more like Siberian Elm fruits.

The trunk bark looks to me more like Burr-oak, again, rather than an
elm trunk bark.

The picture of the silhouette of a alleged Rock-Elm, looks to me more
like some other
elm such as American Elm with its characteristic vase shape branching.
I have seen some
Rock Elm that is multibranching, but those are few.

So what gives with this Virginia Tech website of Rock Elm? Is Rock Elm
a species that is more
"plastic" in characteristics than is thought of? Or is it the case
that someone at VT wanted a
website for Rock Elm and cobbled together any old pictures even though
they were not pictures
of Rock Elm? Or perhaps it is all a prank to see if anyone can spot
the prank?

If Rock Elm is plastic in features, then perhaps the southern most
members of niche are very
different from its northern members. Some trees in the south look very
different from the northern
members.

I would guess the fruit above is so different from any Rock Elm, that
the above is either a mistake
or a prank.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium