Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Default What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

In article
,
Zarlot531 wrote:

Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Thank you,

http://snipurl.com/2vwwg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011083.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011084.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

Not a pear as the leaves are too tough and waxy. Not likely a camellia or
you'd've noticed big flowers and the occasional fruit would look more like
an apple. Tempting to suggest the somewhat exotic Java Apple (Szyzygium
samarangense) or some other species of Szyzygium. If that's it, the fruit
are edible, taste like pear, but is much less dense than a pear when ripe,
more like melon in texture.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

In article
,
Frank wrote:

On Jul 10, 10:45*am, Billy wrote:
In article pplyinc,
*"Don Staples" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"Zarlot531" wrote in message
..
.
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?

Looks like crabapple, if so, fruit is bitter.

Ignore this fool

Ah, the wit and wisdom of a doper.

And that is as good as the advice gets from this maudlin, foul mouth of
a loser.

Ignore this fool
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind

So, what's the answer? Smartass!

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say a camellia. You'll notice that
the leaves are glossy with a smooth edge. Crab apples have a serrated
edge to their leaves. In my experience, you need to have leaf, flower,
and fruit (seed) to make an identification.

Maudlin, foul-mouthed, people with a compulsion to cast someone else as
more incompetent than themselves are easier to identify ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Zarlot531 wrote:

The leaves are alternatve. Also, yes, some of the fruits can be VERY
milky. A few seem more dry, particularly the bigger ones.

Here are some pictures of the inside one of the larger ones:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011090.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011091.jpg

Thanks

Do you have a picture of the flowers? The fruit looks somewhat
like a pygmy pawpaw (Asimina pygmea), and you are in the right
area for pygmy pawpaws, but the leaves aren't right. The pawpaw
flowers however, are distinctive.

-Philip
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

Zarlot531 wrote:
On Jul 10, 8:27 am, monique wrote:
A few more questions--

Is there milky sap? Can you show us what th inside of the fruit
looks like?

M. Reed

The leaves are alternatve. Also, yes, some of the fruits can be
VERY
milky. A few seem more dry, particularly the bigger ones.

Here are some pictures of the inside one of the larger ones:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011090.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011091.jpg

Thanks

Not pear for sure, so forget what I posted!

Tom J

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Jul 10, 12:30�pm, Zarlot531 wrote:
On Jul 10, 8:27�am, monique wrote:

A few more questions--

Is there milky sap? �Can you show us what th inside of the fruit looks like?

M. Reed

The leaves are alternatve. �Also, yes, some of the fruits can be VERY
milky. �A few seem more dry, particularly the bigger ones.

Here are some pictures of the inside one of the larger ones:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011091.jpg

Thanks

That fruit almost loooks like mangosteen.

You can peruse the California Rare Fruit Growers web site.
http://www.crfg.org/index.html#

Send them Email:

Email them he

Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Frank wrote:

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say a camellia. You'll notice that
the leaves are glossy with a smooth edge. Crab apples have a serrated
edge to their leaves. In my experience, you need to have leaf, flower,
and fruit (seed) to make an identification.

Maudlin, foul-mouthed, people with a compulsion to cast someone else as
more incompetent than themselves are easier to identify ;o)
--

You certainly are easy to identify as an incompetent, doper.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Frank wrote:

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say a camellia. You'll notice that
the leaves are glossy with a smooth edge. Crab apples have a serrated
edge to their leaves. In my experience, you need to have leaf, flower,
and fruit (seed) to make an identification.

It is a serrate edge, you dumb ass, look at the picture, doper.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.gardens.]
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:59:12 -0700 (PDT), Zarlot531 wrote:
Hello...

I'm curious what the tree in the follow pictures is:

Also...is the fruit edible?
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011086.jpg

Offhand, looks like a quince to me, Cydonia oblonga. One of the better
local nurseries could ID it for you with little trouble, most likely -- I
never like doing ids completely from photos. If it is quince, it has
edible fruit, though they need to be cooked first.

Kay

Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

On Jul 10, 2:31�pm, "D. Staples" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article
,
Frank wrote:

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say a camellia. You'll notice that
the leaves are glossy with a smooth edge. Crab apples have a serrated
edge to their leaves. In my experience, you need to have leaf, flower,
and fruit (seed) to make an identification.

It is a serrate edge, you dumb ass, look at the picture, doper.

Serrate is fine but I think "erose" is better.

Merriam Webster

erose
adjective
: IRREGULAR , UNEVEN ; specifically : having the margin irregularly
notched as if gnawed an erose leaf
---

Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Jul 10, 2:31?pm, "D. Staples" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article
,
Frank wrote:

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say a camellia. You'll notice that
the leaves are glossy with a smooth edge. Crab apples have a serrated
edge to their leaves. In my experience, you need to have leaf, flower,
and fruit (seed) to make an identification.

It is a serrate edge, you dumb ass, look at the picture, doper.

Serrate is fine but I think "erose" is better.

Merriam Webster

erose
adjective
: IRREGULAR , UNEVEN ; specifically : having the margin irregularly
notched as if gnawed an erose leaf
---

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/erose+leaf ?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/serrated

Thanks for the word in any event )
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

D. Staples wrote:
"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message

This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

Camellia japonica leaves are extremely shiny. Always. Exactly like these.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany

"Sheldon" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 12:30?pm, Zarlot531 wrote:
On Jul 10, 8:27?am, monique wrote:

A few more questions--

Is there milky sap? ?Can you show us what th inside of the fruit looks
like?

M. Reed

The leaves are alternatve. ?Also, yes, some of the fruits can be VERY
milky. ?A few seem more dry, particularly the bigger ones.

Here are some pictures of the inside one of the larger ones:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1011091.jpg

Thanks

That fruit almost loooks like mangosteen.

Not like any mangosteen I've eaten.