Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
fabre andré

Default colchic

I am interested by colchic use in traditional medicine. Where can I find
references on the subject ?
Thanks
A.F.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

I am interested by colchic use in traditional medicine. Where can I find
references on the subject ?
Do a search on colchicine, which is what it is called in English. The plant is
Colchicum, so you may find information there, also.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
fabre andré

Thank you for your kind answer. I still don't know where I can find
references, besides Pliny and Dioscorides, on colchic, colchicum,
ephemerum, spalax or hermodactylus. Would you have any suggestion on the
subject ?

Sincerely,

André J. Fabre

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

I still don't know where I can find references,

Have you done a Web search?
Hermodactylus is a genus of irises. You should be able to find something,
perhaps under iris or Iridaceae.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
fabre andré

Dear Iris :

Here is a good tip for you on hermodactylus : look in Oribase(syn. 9
cap.add., p. 401, 5) and in Alexandre of Tralles (2, 267: 268-269) or CGL
3., 589, 66).

Thanks again for your kindest help !

Sincerely,

André J. Fabre M.D.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Christopher Green

"fabre andr " wrote in message ...
Thank you for your kind answer. I still don't know where I can find
references, besides Pliny and Dioscorides, on colchic, colchicum,
ephemerum, spalax or hermodactylus. Would you have any suggestion on the
subject ?

Sincerely,

André J. Fabre

Also try under the common names "meadow saffron" and "autumn crocus"
and the genus-species, "Colchicum autumnale". One site is
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/safmea04.html

Colchicine is a deadly poison if misused, even just a little bit. Take
care if you're interested in using or preparing it. If you're an
amateur at herbs, it would be well to avoid altogether.

--
Chris Green