Old 21-12-2012, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dessert varieties for east Yorkshire

Can anyone recommend dessert apple trees for East Yorkshire?. My
priorites are, crisp crunchy texture, not necessarily very sweey, sharp
is good, but particularly want good keepers to spread the saeason. Only
dessert I currently have and like very much is Fiesta. I have 16
M106 root stocks potted up and access to around 100 local varieties of
scion.

For those that don't know the climate here think Lincolnshire rather
than north or west Yorkshire. 12 miles from the sea.70 ft amsl.

Trevor
Kirkburn
East Yorkshire
Old 22-12-2012, 10:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Appleton View Post
Can anyone recommend dessert apple trees for East Yorkshire?. My
priorites are, crisp crunchy texture, not necessarily very sweey, sharp
is good, but particularly want good keepers to spread the saeason. Only
dessert I currently have and like very much is Fiesta. I have 16
M106 root stocks potted up and access to around 100 local varieties of
scion.

For those that don't know the climate here think Lincolnshire rather
than north or west Yorkshire. 12 miles from the sea.70 ft amsl.
You're not getting many replies! I'm in W Yorks so not of much help. Have you tried getting in touch with the Northern Fruit Group?
__________________
Old 23-12-2012, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/12/2012 22:32, kay wrote:
Trevor Appleton;975165 Wrote:
Can anyone recommend dessert apple trees for East Yorkshire?. My
priorites are, crisp crunchy texture, not necessarily very sweey, sharp

is good, but particularly want good keepers to spread the saeason. Only

dessert I currently have and like very much is Fiesta. I have 16
M106 root stocks potted up and access to around 100 local varieties of
scion.

For those that don't know the climate here think Lincolnshire rather
than north or west Yorkshire. 12 miles from the sea.70 ft amsl.

You're not getting many replies! I'm in W Yorks so not of much help.
Have you tried getting in touch with the Northern Fruit Group?

I'd have thought that if you have access to around 100 local varieties
then you would be in the best position to know what does best in your
area and in your soil.

Old 26-12-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/2012 09:04, David Hill wrote:
On 22/12/2012 22:32, kay wrote:
Trevor Appleton;975165 Wrote:
Can anyone recommend dessert apple trees for East Yorkshire?. My
priorites are, crisp crunchy texture, not necessarily very sweey, sharp

is good, but particularly want good keepers to spread the saeason. Only

dessert I currently have and like very much is Fiesta. I have 16
M106 root stocks potted up and access to around 100 local varieties of
scion.

For those that don't know the climate here think Lincolnshire rather
than north or west Yorkshire. 12 miles from the sea.70 ft amsl.

You're not getting many replies! I'm in W Yorks so not of much help.
Have you tried getting in touch with the Northern Fruit Group?

I'd have thought that if you have access to around 100 local varieties
then you would be in the best position to know what does best in your
area and in your soil.

Not really he runs an orchard jointly between the council and the WI,
and will be pruning next month, so there is some scio material , but
most of the apples get nicked and the orchard is very young, also he's
not particularly a gardener, rather a countryside ranger.

Old 26-12-2012, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/12/2012 22:32, kay wrote:
Trevor Appleton;975165 Wrote:
Can anyone recommend dessert apple trees for East Yorkshire?. My
priorites are, crisp crunchy texture, not necessarily very sweey, sharp

is good, but particularly want good keepers to spread the saeason. Only

dessert I currently have and like very much is Fiesta. I have 16
M106 root stocks potted up and access to around 100 local varieties of
scion.

For those that don't know the climate here think Lincolnshire rather
than north or west Yorkshire. 12 miles from the sea.70 ft amsl.

You're not getting many replies! I'm in W Yorks so not of much help.
Have you tried getting in touch with the Northern Fruit Group?

No - I'll give them a try

Old 27-12-2012, 10:01 AM
kay kay is offline

On 22/12/2012 22:32, kay wrote:
Trevor Appleton;975165 Wrote:
Can anyone recommend dessert apple trees for East Yorkshire?. My
priorites are, crisp crunchy texture, not necessarily very sweey, sharp

is good, but particularly want good keepers to spread the saeason. Only

dessert I currently have and like very much is Fiesta. I have 16
M106 root stocks potted up and access to around 100 local varieties of
scion.

For those that don't know the climate here think Lincolnshire rather
than north or west Yorkshire. 12 miles from the sea.70 ft amsl.

You're not getting many replies! I'm in W Yorks so not of much help.
Have you tried getting in touch with the Northern Fruit Group?

No - I'll give them a try
They don't have a website. If you can't find them via Google, try Harlow Carr. They have produced a long list of apple varieties that do well in the North.