Old 07-06-2003, 08:32 AM
daniel vega

Default help with fern ID

hi all

even it is a difficult task with only a few picutures I wonder if
someone could help with this fern ID

http://www.naturenotes.org/archivo/botany_pending.html

(bottom of the page, code1 )

it was located at the Canary Islands

thanks

daniel vega

Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 AM
mel turner

In article , wrote...

hi all

even it is a difficult task with only a few picutures I wonder if
someone could help with this fern ID

http://www.naturenotes.org/archivo/botany_pending.html

(bottom of the page, code1 )

it was located at the Canary Islands

Nice clear pictures, but it would help if you'd take some equally nice
ones of the frond undersides and sori [which you did for the first
species]. [Pics of the stem and leaf bases can also help].

The first fern is an unusual species of _Adiantum_ [maidenhair fern],
with simple, reniform [kidney-shaped] leaf blades. The species name
reflects this: _Adiantum reniforme_. A nice find, it's rare in much
of its range.

http://www.sdfern.com/ferncat.htm

"Adiantum reniforme
(no common name) Africa, Canary Islands. This small fern has simple
fronds, each with a single, thick, leathery lamina (blade) which
resembles a Ginko leaf. The stipe, or stalk, is hairy. It is reputed
to be hard to grow. It needs a very open, well-drained, mostly
organic soil mix with an addition of lime."

http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/...shop/article.h
tm

"Apparently the only places the fern Adiantum reniforme can be
discovered growing in the wild, besides in Kenya, are the Canary
Islands and China - and here comes the significant point - these
were parts of the world that remained free of glaciation."

[a dubious explanation for an odd range]

http://www.sabonet.org/activities/nyika_ferns.htm

"Of particular note was the re-collection of the very rare maidenhair
fern,Adiantum reniforme L., originally collected at the same locality
by the Wye College Expedition in 1972. This locality represents only
the thirdconfirmed occurrence of this peculiar fern from the African
continent."

The second fern is especially interesting to me [we have research-
related interest in it]:

You found the rare tree fern relative _Culcita macrocarpa_,
which is also known from a few relic mainland populations on the
Iberian peninsula [besides the Canaries and Madeira]. Its only living
close relative is from tropical Central and South America. Pictures
of the stem and leaf bases would help the ID, as well as ones of the
sori, but it's clearly recognizable.

http://tematico.princast.es/mediambi..._06_04_044.htm

The third one is more problematic. I was thinking at first it's a
large Pteris species, but now think it's _Woodwardia radicans_:

http://tematico.princast.es/mediambi..._06_04_062.htm
http://www.flakkee.net/~fernworld/fe...untitled10.htm
http://www.wildlifephotoi.unlugar.co...i/00000002.htm

A close-up of the underside of a fertile frond would be a clincher;
the sori of my two candidate genera are very different.

Nice pics, of some unusual ferns.

cheers