Old 20-06-2003, 06:32 PM
wolfgang

Default ID request

Can someone please help me to identify this plant:

http://www.startbilder.de/index.php?...ier=479332cb80

It is a 2 m high bush in our garden in Germany and the blooms have a
strong smell of pineapple, mango and other tropical fruits.

Thanks!
Old 20-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Monique Reed

Could it be a species of Calycanthus, sweetshrub? It very much
resembles Calycanthus floridus, which is native to the U.S. and also
widely cultivated. In different cultivars the flowers are different
colors, from greenish to maroon. The flowers are fragrant and the
leaves are opposite.

compare photos at:
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol.../cfloridus.htm

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/c/calflo/calflo1.html

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf...f?OpenDocument

M. Reed

Old 20-06-2003, 07:44 PM
mel turner

In article ,
says...

Can someone please help me to identify this plant:

http://www.startbilder.de/index.php?...uality=80& ma
xp
ixel=800&offset=&proseite=20&extern=&kategorie_id =1682&identifier=479332cb80

It is a 2 m high bush in our garden in Germany and the blooms have a
strong smell of pineapple, mango and other tropical fruits.

Calycanthus [family Calycanthaceae], probably _C. floridus_. It is
cultivated in Germany:

http://www.pharmakobotanik.de/gallery/gal-caly.htm
http://www.pharmakobotanik.de/system...x/cp000203.jpg
http://www.pharmakobotanik.de/system...x/cp000205.jpg

An interesting family, considered to be among the more "primitive"
flowering plants:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/caly_flo.cfm
http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/...Calycanthaceae
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/courses...anthaceae.html

cheers

Old 20-06-2003, 09:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

wolfgang schreef
Can someone please help me to identify this plant:

It is a 2 m high bush in our garden in Germany and the blooms have a
strong smell of pineapple, mango and other tropical fruits.

Thanks!

+ + +
Apparently the name is derived from kalyx and anthos (flower) since there is
no perceptable difference in color between calyx and the rest of the flower.
Strictly speaking there is no calyx, but only a perianth (indeed one of
those primitive plants).
PvR

Old 21-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Please excuse Rinkytink, he enjoys being the group jerk-off and is
completely incapable of giving a straight answer to any question.

Your plant is Calycanthus floridus, commonly called "Spice Bush".

wolfgang schreef

Old 21-06-2003, 08:57 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12yo schreef
Please excuse Rinkytink, he enjoys being the group jerk-off and is
completely incapable of giving a straight answer to any question.

+ + +
You really do reduce everything to classroom proportions, don't you?
Maybe you should get out more after school.
PvR

Old 21-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

As usual Rinkytink, you are making absolutely no sense at all.

Is your only ambition that you aspire to be the class clown, you Bozo
wannabee?

You will need to fight it out with Archie Poo for the title.

Old 21-06-2003, 12:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

You really do reduce everything to classroom proportions, don't you?
Maybe you should get out more, after school.
PvR

Cereoid-UR12yo schreef
As usual Rinkytink, you are making absolutely no sense at all.

Is your only ambition that you aspire to be the class clown, you Bozo
wannabee?

You will need to fight it out with Archie Poo for the title.

+ + +
QED

Request Poulan chainsaw Carb Tune-Up Procedure Ken Shelton Lawns 2 18-11-2009 01:48 AM
UK lILLY REQUEST K Ponds (alternative) 0 23-03-2003 04:20 PM
[IBC] Per request of JKLewis.. Donald Henry Shaw Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 02:08 AM
Plant ID request Cindy Gardening 1 13-03-2003 01:56 AM
Request for Recommendations: Book on Vegetables Neil Trotter United Kingdom 9 29-01-2003 11:36 PM