Old 12-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Janatrude

Default CARIBBEAN PLANTS AND FLOWERS

Is there anything on the web that tells what plants and flowers are of West
Indian origin? Thanks to anyone who answers.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:57 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Janatrude schreef
Is there anything on the web that tells what plants and flowers are of

West Indian origin? Thanks to anyone who answers.

+ + +
The answer is YES.
See www.google.com
PvR

Old 13-08-2003, 01:23 AM
V_coerulea

Do a google search on "plants west indies". There are a few good returns.

Old 13-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Only "thanks" to anyone who answers?

Are you too cheap to provide an all expenses paid vacation to the Caribbean
as a prize?

Bob Barker, you're not!!!!

Do your own google search, you lazy bum.

Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Iris Cohen

"V_coerulea"

Vanda coerulea? why aren't you in Orchidguide Digest?

Ask them how to join. I don't have the address handy.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-08-2003, 09:18 AM
mel turner

In article ,
[Janatrude] wrote...

Is there anything on the web that tells what plants and flowers are of West
Indian origin? Thanks to anyone who answers.

What exactly are you looking for?

A listing of familiar or famous plants of West Indian origin, or some
way to tell whether or not any particular plant species you may have
seen there are actually native there? Do you want floras for particular
islands? Or just examples of native Caribbean plants? Anyway, there
are various ways to search for relevant sites. [And of course there
are libraries you can try in addition to the web]

For example, you can search

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

for various key words and combinations of parameters.

Just now, plugging "caribbean plants flora endemic" into the "all of
the words" box, together with "west indian" in the "exact phrase" box,
and also "botany botanical" in the "at least one of the words" box
still finds too many screens worth of "hits" that supposedly all fit
the description.

For example:

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/Origin.htm

has a link for "68. WEST INDIAN NATIVES and INTRODUCTIONS"

http://www.altavista.com/sites/search/adv

is another useful search engine, in which one can do
"Boolean" searches, like perhaps

"west indies" and (botany and flora) and (jamaica or hispanola) and
(native or endemic)

which still says it turns up 268 results. [My first try, for ""west
indies" and (botany or flora)" said it had 13,410 hits, so a few more
requirements were added]

http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en

can also be useful. It searches for pictures on the web.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Old 14-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

It also very much depends on which island you are on.
There are obviously many island in the Caribbean and some have their own
unique flora.
Why are you being so cryptic? Are you a drug runner or something?

mel turner wrote in message
In article ,

[Janatrude] wrote...

Old 16-08-2003, 10:02 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Janatrude schreef
(Denise) Nothing so sinister or glamorous. I write for "The Caribbean

Star" but am not myself from the West Indies or up on botany. I would like
to find a listing of plants and flowers that originated in the Caribbean so
I can find out if they are carried in our botanical gardens or some of our
garden shops and inform my readers of stores that carry West Indian plants
and/or flowers.

+ + +
If you want to write stories that require a great deal of background then
there is no substitute for doing some work.

If all that is required is some story about plants available in stores
(Where? Trying "Caribbean Star" in Google shows an airline first and
foremost) then check the stores for such plants and ask the personnel. Then
check to see if this was just a sales pitch or had substance.

Plants in botanical gardens will be a different matter entirely.
PvR

Old 16-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You have a long list of species ahead of you to compile, especially from the
large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica and Pueto Rico. There is a long
list of Cactaceae, Agave and many more plants endemic to the region. Many of
them are found only on certain islands and are rare and endangered. Would
not want to encourage people to collect them. Let them stick to cultivated
Hibiscus, Plumeria, etc.

Janatrude wrote in message
"Cereoid-UR12-"