Old 31-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Frank Martin

Default Are plants social? Huh?

* sulk *

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
Look Frankie, when you actually post something relevant or makes sense, I
will give you any consideration. Until then, you can just sit in the back
row and take notes.

Frank Martin wrote in message
Drag yer knuckles outta here, grassboy.

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. ..
Word to yer mutha!!!

Frank Martin wrote in message
Sarcasm is the LOWEST form of wit.

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
ROTFLMAO!!

You are right on target about orchid growers, Iris.

They also tend to become more insufferably elitist and arrogant

when
they
congregate "en masse" like a flock of vultures!!! They are

incestuously
social among themselves but extremely antisocial toward other

plant
societies!!!

Iris Cohen wrote in message
I'm missing the hint for allelopathie, the research of

reciprocal
influences
of plants, practicized by friends of "Mischkultur", mainly

explained
by
mycorrhizal effects in the edaphone - founded by H. Molisch,
university
of
Vienna,

Sounds like a bunch of hooey.

you can hear more of this from orchid friends, it's their

primary
focus

You are confused. Orchids are generally grown in individual

pots,
grouped
together in a greenhouse or growing area simply for covenience &
control
of
lighting & humidity. Most amateurs have a collection of various
different
orchids. Now when you talk about orchid growers, they have a

very
strong
tendency to congregate in groups, local groups once a month,

national
or
regional groups once a year. Individual growers languish & show

signs
of
severe
depression if they are forced to exist alone. This phenomenon is

found
among
many kinds of growers, not just of orchids.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the
oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 31-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Iris Cohen

You are right on target about orchid growers, Iris.
They also tend to become more insufferably elitist and arrogant when they

congregate "en masse" like a flock of vultures!!! They are incestuously social
among themselves but extremely antisocial toward other plant societies!!!

Oh, dear. What slander. Don't believe anything you read in The Orchid Thief,
and not everything in Orchid Fever, either. Orchid growers are like any other
hobbyists. Some are insufferable egotists & most are perfectly nice, generous
people. I have met both kinds. Many orchid growers also have other plant
addictions, and behave normally in all their clubs. Although some orchid
societies have been known to be elitist, even racist, they are definitely in
the minority. The orchid society where you live has been accused in the past of
being elitist. I don't know if they still are. But you should attend some
orchid meetings in other parts of the country before you pass judgement.
Old 31-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

I would say orchid growers are very much elitist and arrogant around here.
At a show and sale they had at the National Arboretum a few years back, one
of the vendors wouldn't even give me any advice on how to grow them until I
bought a plant FIRST. I told the jerk to stuff it. The plants were way
overpriced. Those that had entered plants in their show weren't any better.

The nicer orchid growers are also interested in other plants and there is
one in another plant group I'm in but those who specialize in orchids alone
don't consider any other plant worthy of their consideration.