Old 26-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Are plants social? Huh?

I'm missing the hint for allelopathie, the research of reciprocal influences
of plants, practicized by friends of "Mischkultur", mainly explained by
mycorrhizal effects in the edaphone - founded by H. Molisch, university of
Vienna,

Sounds like a bunch of hooey.

you can hear more of this from orchid friends, it's their primary focus

You are confused. Orchids are generally grown in individual pots, grouped
together in a greenhouse or growing area simply for covenience & control of
lighting & humidity. Most amateurs have a collection of various different
orchids. Now when you talk about orchid growers, they have a very strong
tendency to congregate in groups, local groups once a month, national or
regional groups once a year. Individual growers languish & show signs of severe
depression if they are forced to exist alone. This phenomenon is found among
many kinds of growers, not just of orchids.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 26-08-2003, 05:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

I'm missing ... mainly explained by mycorrhizal effects in the edaphone

Iris Cohen schreef
Sounds like a bunch of hooey.

+ + +
It may sound so but the existence of mycorrhiza has been well-proved. That
is not to say they are wellknown
+ + +

you can hear more of this from orchid friends, it's their primary focus

You are confused.
Iris

+ + +
Well, orchids don't start growing unless mycorrhiza are present
(or a nutrient solution mimicking them).
You can even assign orchids to taxonomic groups depending on the mycorrhiza
they favor.
PvR

Old 26-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

ROTFLMAO!!

You are right on target about orchid growers, Iris.

They also tend to become more insufferably elitist and arrogant when they
congregate "en masse" like a flock of vultures!!! They are incestuously
social among themselves but extremely antisocial toward other plant
societies!!!

Old 28-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
I'm missing the hint for allelopathie, the research of reciprocal
influences
of plants, practicized by friends of "Mischkultur", mainly explained by
mycorrhizal effects in the edaphone - founded by H. Molisch, university of
Vienna,

Sounds like a bunch of hooey.

No, there a lot to be learned about mycorrhizal effects in the natural
environment. I read a paper a little while back that demonstrated, using
radioactive tracers, that mycorrhiza could actually transport photosynthate
between a softwood species and birch in a reforestation setting. IIRC,
the birch saplings, growing in shade, were "stealing" from the softwood
saplings in an adjacent open area.

Old 29-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Frank Martin

Sarcasm is the LOWEST form of wit.

m...

Iris Cohen wrote in message
[...]

"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 30-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Look Frankie, when you actually post something relevant or makes sense, I
will give you any consideration. Until then, you can just sit in the back
row and take notes.

Old 30-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Iris Cohen

It may sound so but the existence of mycorrhiza has been well-proved.
BRBR

I am well aware of the existence of mycorrhiza. But I fail to see any
connection between mycorrhiza and whether certain plants do better in groups.
Also I don't see any connection between mycorrhiza and allelopathy.

Well, orchids don't start growing unless mycorrhiza are present (or a
nutrient solution mimicking them). BRBR

Perfectly true. But that has nothing to do with whether an orchid does better
in a group planting or as a single plant.

You can even assign orchids to taxonomic groups depending on the mycorrhiza
they favor.

Where on earth did you get that idea?
Old 30-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
You can even assign orchids to taxonomic groups depending on the mycorrhiza
they favor.

Where on earth did you get that idea?

It's not inherently wrong. Coevolution of host/parasite or
symbiote/symbiote relationships leads to a correlation between the
phylogenies of the two taxa, so the identity of the mycorrhizal symbiont
of an orchid species is evidence for its taxonomic position within
Orchidaceae. How much weight should be given to such traits, however, is
not something on which I am in a position to comment.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 30-08-2003, 04:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

It may sound so but the existence of mycorrhiza has been well-proved.

Iris Cohen schreef
I am well aware of the existence of mycorrhiza. But I fail to see any
connection between mycorrhiza and whether certain plants do better in

groups.

+ + +
Leaving aside the issue of whether fungi are plants, mycorrhiza have complex
relationships with plants and certainly influence how well the plants they
interact with are doing
+ + +

Also I don't see any connection between mycorrhiza and allelopathy.

+ + +
I imagine "allelopathy" is one of those words having multiple meanings and I
would rather not get in a discussion about it. I would not preclude any of a
number of possible connections.
+ + +

Well, orchids don't start growing unless mycorrhiza are present (or a
nutrient solution mimicking them). BRBR

Perfectly true. But that has nothing to do with whether an orchid does

better in a group planting or as a single plant.

+ + +
Ha. Agreement!
+ + +

You can even assign orchids to taxonomic groups depending on the

mycorrhiza they favor.

Where on earth did you get that idea?
Iris,

+ + +
Actually I don't know much about orchids, but I am very dutiful. Since this
is a favorite story of one of the world's leading orchid taxonomists I am
accepting it without question.
PvR

Old 30-08-2003, 04:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
Look Frankie, when you actually post something relevant or makes sense, I
will give you any consideration. Until then, you can just sit in the back
row and take notes.

+ + +
Your frame of reference is:
- Classrooms as a social environment
- the internet for content
- and gardening/houseplants as your field

Are you looking forward to ever becoming a student of botany or will you
limit yourself to watering plants?
PvR

Old 30-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Your definition of "student" is obviously very different from mine.

You obviously are not referring to a tuition paying undergraduate but rather
to an enthusiast.
Not the same at all.

I can image you specializing in smoking herbs in your college days.

Cereoid-UR12- schreef

Old 30-08-2003, 09:22 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Your ambition is to become a tuition-paying undergraduate smoking herbs?
Perhaps using a water pipe?
PvR

Cereoid-UR12- schreef