Old 30-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Brad Gibson

Default What is the name of this kind of nut?

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of a certain kind of nut. Its
tree grows in tropical areas, and can be about 60 ft high and about as
wide (including branches) as it is tall. It has big leaves that have
rounded ends. The nut with its shell is about 3-4 in. long and about 1.5
in. thick, and usually has green or red skin on the outside. It is
shaped like a lemon if you look at it in one way and like a flying
saucer if you turn it around a little bit, and has a ridge around it.
The actual nut, which is edible (and very good-tasting), looks like an
almond, but is about twice as long.

Brad
Old 30-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Could be some sort of Anonymous nucifer.

A "flying saucer", eh?

Rinkytink should know what it is, he's a real nutcase!!!

Old 30-09-2003, 03:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
A "flying saucer", eh?

Rinkytink should know what it is, he's a real nutcase!!!

+ + +
Well, well, somebody casually drops the words "flying saucer" and Cereoid
goes into defensive mode. How revealing!
PvR

Old 30-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Peter Jason

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
Could be some sort of Anonymous nucifer.

A "flying saucer", eh?

Rinkytink should know what it is, he's a real nutcase!!!

Brad Gibson wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone knew the name of a certain kind of nut. Its
tree grows in tropical areas, and can be about 60 ft high and about as
wide (including branches) as it is tall. It has big leaves that have
rounded ends. The nut with its shell is about 3-4 in. long and about 1.5
in. thick, and usually has green or red skin on the outside. It is
shaped like a lemon if you look at it in one way and like a flying
saucer if you turn it around a little bit, and has a ridge around it.
The actual nut, which is edible (and very good-tasting), looks like an
almond, but is about twice as long.

Brad

I feel I should enter the lists in defence of this poster; after all it WAS
a fair question. Instead of invective, jibes and jeers perhaps the correct
answer might settle the matter and ameliorate the general mood. Yours most
sincerely.

Old 30-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Who are you? Are you his mother nutter from down under?

If you really want to contribute something useful, why don't you identify
the plant yourself?

If not, nuts to you!

Old 01-10-2003, 10:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Peter Jason schreef
It's a macadamia nut, of course.

+ + +
?
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/macadamia.html
PvR

+ + +
Brad Gibson wrote

Old 01-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Exactly what I thought it probably was but the description was so poor that
only Brad knows for sure.

They grow many acres of them in Hawaii.

http://www.maunaloa.com/home.asp

Comparing the nuts to "flying saucers" is still a real knee slapper!!!
Maybe that would be true in a food fight while under the influence of
intoxicants?

Sometimes you feel like a nut..........sometime you don't!!!!
(Almond Joy has nuts, Mounds don't. Because.......)