Old 18-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Acorn in water - tell us why, Iris

Yeah Iris, tell us where does mold come from and why does it form? Does it
EAT the acorn?

Why does nature waste so many acorns by allowing them to fall into the water
and die?

Why Iris why? Who will stop the madness? Is this all the work of some
vengeful god or some conspiracy by the trilateral commission? ;-)

Just how old is George and has he taken basic biology in school yet?

George wrote in message
om...
Thanks Iris,
It didn't look very healthy so I threw it out.

If acorns fall into water naturally and are allowed to die, I imagine
the same thing happens.

Do you know where the mold comes from and why it forms - does it eat
the acorn?

George

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message

I placed an acorn in a cup of water a few weeks ago.
The water has decreased and turned orange and has globules.
The acorn is covered with a grey mold-like cover.

Acorns are not designed to germinate in water. The acorn has died and is

moldy.
The water is probably full of bacteria.
If you want to geminate acorns, in fact most seeds, you will have to

plant them
in soil.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 19-10-2003, 03:23 AM
Iris Cohen

Just how old is George and has he taken basic biology in school yet?

You are too quick to make fun of people. My granddaughter is in ninth grade,
and I can tell you the quality of public school instruction, even in the
suburbs, is not what it was when we went to school. And many young people are
too immature to really absorb even the most basic material. With folks like
George, years after they graduated from high school, they suddenly become
curious and are really interested in learning the facts that didn't register at
the time. Don't knock it.
Old 19-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Are you curious yellow or are you curious blue?

Actually George never said how old he is and we don't know his level of
formal education either.

So, you shouldn't just assume that he's some old fart loosing his marbles,
Iris!!!

Old 19-10-2003, 03:22 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
Are you curious yellow or are you curious blue?

Actually George never said how old he is and we don't know his level of
formal education either.

+ + +
Why not bright green?

There is something like mental age. From tone and content of your postings
we assume you are a bright but emotionally unstable teen and we treat you as
such. For all we know, in actuality you may be a frustrated 50-plus year old
grouch, whose development got stuck at an early age ("you're twelve"?).

As to your formal education? We hope you enjoyed some.
PvR

Old 23-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Xavier Vanbecelaere

Iris,
that really is a great piece you wrote here.

The moral is that we are have to learn too much in school at an immature
age, or maybe it's the lack of a rigorous upbringing, that narrows our
perception down to one single concern. It's hard to learn something of
evereything (certainly when you have other things on your mind like kids,
paying a house, ...) , but maybe the biggest frustration of all is that out
brains are not designed to remember all the stuff we soak up, that we forget
things, and that our lives are too short in terms of gathering information.

Maybe we do miss one cell doubling in our brain, same thing what
distinguishes us and monkeys.

I have great respect for George, because he is interested one of the primary
things in life -nature-. Something that my urbanised neighbours have
forgotten a long time ago.

-----------------------------
Il faut penser à l'avenir afin d'endurer le présent.

Moi, Xavier.

"Iris Cohen" schreef in bericht
Just how old is George and has he taken basic biology in school yet?

You are too quick to make fun of people. My granddaughter is in ninth

grade,
and I can tell you the quality of public school instruction, even in the
suburbs, is not what it was when we went to school. And many young people

are
too immature to really absorb even the most basic material. With folks

like
George, years after they graduated from high school, they suddenly become
curious and are really interested in learning the facts that didn't

register at
the time. Don't knock it.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
Acorn in water George Plant Science 16 26-10-2003 11:02 PM
Acorn in water - one nut is not enough to describe Cereoid P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 20-10-2003 08:42 AM
oak acorn bread Human civilization is based on the staple acorn! Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM