Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione

Default Right of Reply to Frank

3 entries found for bamboozle.
bam·boo·zle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bm-bzl)
tr.v. Informal bam·boo·zled, bam·boo·zling, bam·boo·zles
To take in by elaborate methods of deceit; hoodwink. See Synonyms at
deceive.

[Origin unknown.]
bam·boozle·ment n.
bam·boozler n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

bamboozle

\Bam*boo"zle\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bamboozled (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Bamboozling (?).] [Said to be of Gipsy origin.] To deceive by
trickery; to cajole by confusing the senses; to hoax; to mystify; to
humbug. [Colloq.] --Addison.

What oriental tomfoolery is bamboozling you? --J. H. Newman.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA,
Inc.

bamboozle

v : conceal one's true motives from esp. by elaborately feigning good
intentions so as to gain an end; "He bamboozled his professors into
thinking that he knew the subject well" [syn: snow, hoodwink, lead by
the nose, play false]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

--

Dear Frank,

We do not understand why you are insinuating this about our
organization and it's aims. Do you have any conclusive proof to show
that we are deceiving the general public or using elaborate methods of
deceit?

We would appreciate a Formal Apology.

On behalf of all "Bambuseiros" and NOT "Bamboozlers" in Brazil.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Joćo Paulo Freire Paglione
[FBB] Fundaēćo BambuBrasil
[BBF] Bamboo Brazil Foundation
www.bambubrasil.org
Fone: 1-561-276-7327
Fax: 1-561-276-7327
eFax: 1-501-639-2695
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FundacaoBambuBrasil/
http://www.geocities.com/bamboobrazilfoundation
Old 12-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Jo?o Paulo
Freire Paglione writes

We do not understand why you are insinuating this about our
organization and it's aims. Do you have any conclusive proof to show
that we are deceiving the general public or using elaborate methods of
deceit?

I think 'bamboozle' was intended as a joke (of category pun), and no
insinuation was intended - I certainly didn't read any into Frank's
post.

'Bamboozle' sounds as if it could be derived from 'bamboo' (and it's
also a potential contraction of 'bamboo brasil').

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-11-2003, 01:13 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Clearly something had gotten lost in translation.

Now we know why there aren't any Brazilian comedians. They don't have a
sense of humor.
Maybe if they spoke Spanish instead of Portuguese they wouldn't be so
paranoid?

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in message
In article , Jo?o Paulo
Freire Paglione writes

Old 12-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Clearly something had gotten lost in translation.

If you are so unfamiliar with the term that you need to look it up, you
obviously don't get the joke.

Now we know why there aren't any Brazilian comedians. They don't have a
sense of humor. Maybe if they spoke Spanish instead of Portuguese they
wouldn't be so
paranoid?

If you are going to crash the party, you should not forget that you are only
an uninvited guest and you have no right to take it over.

In the words of William Schatner: "Get a life."

Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione wrote in message
om...
3 entries found for bamboozle.
bam·boo·zle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bm-bzl)
tr.v. Informal bam·boo·zled, bam·boo·zling, bam·boo·zles
To take in by elaborate methods of deceit; hoodwink. See Synonyms at
deceive.

------
[Origin unknown.]

------

Old 12-11-2003, 08:04 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I think 'bamboozle' was intended as a joke (of category pun), and no

insinuation was intended - I certainly didn't read any into Frank's
post.

'Bamboozle' sounds as if it could be derived from 'bamboo' (and it's

also a potential contraction of 'bamboo brasil').

+ + +
I cannot help but agree.
It does sound as if it was intended as a pun.
If anything was meant by this there would have been some context.

You have to remember there are a lot of people out there sitting behind a
computer (or TV?) who just type in whatever enters their mind. As such
things go this is relatively innocent. There are real nuts out there.

PvR