Old 03-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Going Nuts

Judd et al say that they're (walnuts) drupes.

Now I am really confused. Does that mean they come in a fleshy outer covering,
like the almond, and what we call the nut is just the seed? I seem to recall
that some of that group, like the hickories, have a sort of outer husk. So
which are the true nuts? And what do you call a cashew?
I guess we never did agree on where to put bananas, except not in the
refrigerator.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Micah J. Mabelitini

Iris Cohen wrote:

Judd et al say that they're (walnuts) drupes.

Now I am really confused. Does that mean they come in a fleshy outer covering,
like the almond, and what we call the nut is just the seed?

They're dry drupes. Walnuts resemble fleshy green billiard balls when
they fall off the tree. The unpleasant covering turns black and
disarticulates as it rots, leaving the pip.

Micah Mabelitini

Old 03-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
Judd et al say that they're (walnuts) drupes.

Now I am really confused. Does that mean they come in a fleshy outer covering,
like the almond, and what we call the nut is just the seed? I seem to recall

That appears to be more or less the case (pace technicalities in the
definition of seed); do a Google image search for walnut fruits.

that some of that group, like the hickories, have a sort of outer husk. So
which are the true nuts? And what do you call a cashew?

Judd et al give hazel, sweet chestnut, oak and beech, plus some tropical
genera, as examples.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-01-2004, 03:23 AM
Iris Cohen

They're dry drupes. Walnuts resemble fleshy green billiard balls when
they fall off the tree. BRBR

Then which are the true nuts?

Old 04-01-2004, 12:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

They're dry drupes. Walnuts resemble fleshy green billiard balls when
they fall off the tree. BRBR

Iris Cohen schreef
Then which are the true nuts?

+ + +
Again: acorns are true nuts!
PvR

Old 04-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Gene Royer

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
They're dry drupes. Walnuts resemble fleshy green billiard balls when

they fall off the tree. BRBR

Iris Cohen schreef
Then which are the true nuts?

+ + +
Again: acorns are true nuts!
PvR

Next thing you'll be telling us that peanuts are neither peas nor nuts, and
that Chicken Fried steak is neither chicken nor steak. Hrrrummpff!

--Genothe pedanticRoyer

Old 04-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Mike Lyle

"Micah J. Mabelitini" wrote in message ...
Iris Cohen wrote:

Judd et al say that they're (walnuts) drupes.

Now I am really confused. Does that mean they come in a fleshy outer covering,
like the almond, and what we call the nut is just the seed?

They're dry drupes. Walnuts resemble fleshy green billiard balls when
they fall off the tree. The unpleasant covering [...]

Delicious, actually, when pickled; and the best relish for cold poultry.

Mike.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Micah J. Mabelitini

Iris Cohen wrote:

Judd et al say that they're (walnuts) drupes.

Now I am really confused. Does that mean they come in a fleshy outer covering,
like the almond, and what we call the nut is just the seed?

They're dry drupes. Walnuts resemble fleshy green billiard balls when
they fall off the tree. The unpleasant covering [...]

Delicious, actually, when pickled; and the best relish for cold poultry.

Mike.

I can think of many things that people eat which I would consider
unpleasant...cold poultry for example.

Micah Mabelitini

Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Gaiawar

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in message ...
In article , Iris Cohen
writes
Judd et al say that they're (walnuts) drupes.

Now I am really confused. Does that mean they come in a fleshy outer covering,
like the almond, and what we call the nut is just the seed? I seem to recall

That appears to be more or less the case (pace technicalities in the
definition of seed); do a Google image search for walnut fruits.

that some of that group, like the hickories, have a sort of outer husk. So
which are the true nuts? And what do you call a cashew?

Judd et al give hazel, sweet chestnut, oak and beech, plus some tropical
genera, as examples.

And if you wanna get a nut by screwing up your neighbor's garden or
landscape for at least ten years add juglans -walnut tree parts and
pieces- to the compost. It's particularly lethal to the Solanaceae.

Gaiawar --No, I did not do that.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Iris Cohen

Next thing you'll be telling us that peanuts are neither peas nor nuts,
BRBR

I hope you are joking. Peanuts of course are not nuts, but they are closely
related to peas.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Iris Cohen

And if you wanna get a nut by screwing up your neighbor's garden or
landscape for at least ten years add juglans -walnut tree parts and
pieces- to the compost. BRBR

Does that include English walnut shells?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Iris Cohen

And if you wanna get a nut by screwing up your neighbor's garden or
landscape for at least ten years add juglans -walnut tree parts and
pieces- to the compost. BRBR

Does that include English walnut shells?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Fish are going going......... ReelMcKoi Ponds (moderated) 8 23-03-2009 07:33 PM
[IBC] going no mail...going HOME! alicia-dr-hankins Bonsai 0 24-05-2004 03:05 PM
bunya nuts John Savage Australia 11 08-03-2003 07:57 PM
Large Wooden Nuts Steve United Kingdom 9 09-12-2002 08:00 PM