Old 06-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Plant tissue cloning?

Could equipment be sterilized in a normal microwave oven? BRBR

No
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 07-03-2004, 10:00 PM
David Hershey

"Peter Jason" wrote in message ...

Thanks for these pages - which are rather wonderful.
My interest is grafting to produce chimeras, and possibly I can use tissue
culture for this by microtoming slices of stock and scion, layering the
slices, and developing them on media.
Are there specific dyes for staining types of cells in a plant cross
section?

Micrografting is an established technique but a microtome may not be
required.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...grafting+plant

Graft chimeras are fairly rare. Other types of chimeras, such as those
that produce variegated leaves, often arise naturally or in tissue
culture.

Garner's Grafter's Handbook and Hartmann's Plant Propagation textbook
are good basic sources of info on grafting.

There are many stains used for plant cross sections out of the
hundreds available.

http://members.pgonline.com/~bryand/.../dyes/dyes.htm

There are several plant microtechnique books and webpages.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...microtechnique

http://www.microscopy-uk.net/mag/ind...jbbotany1.html