Old 02-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Darren Garrison

Default Plant tissue cloning?

Any good books or web sites with info on cloning plants from smallish tissue samples at home? I'm
interested in trying to clone some rare-ish/expensive-ish venus flytrap and pitcher plant cultivars.
Back in High School, I tried and failed cloning African Violets using one of the educational cloning
kits that were just coming onto the market at the time. I've found references to several "cloning
gel" products (mostly, apparently, on pothead sites). How useful would a product like this:
http://www.hydroponics-garden.com/rootechgel4oz.html be for my purposes? My main worry is getting
bacterial/fungal contamination in the medium-- and this claims to have "antimicrobials" in the
medium.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Peter Jason

I would try the American patent office at first - there is a section on
plants and cultivars - at
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-adv.htm

These patents also have references to other patents and texts.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Darren Garrison

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:09:36 +1100, "Peter Jason" wrote:

I would try the American patent office at first - there is a section on
plants and cultivars - at
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-adv.htm

These patents also have references to other patents and texts.

Frankly, I don't give even a TINY fraction of a damn if a plant has a patent on it. If I have one,
want more, and can make more (for my own personal use), I'll make more. Period.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:53 AM
Darren Garrison

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:09:36 +1100, "Peter Jason" wrote:

I would try the American patent office at first - there is a section on
plants and cultivars - at
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-adv.htm

These patents also have references to other patents and texts.

Plus, I find the very IDEA of patening a plant or animal to be utterly idiotic-- and I don't care to
hear about "business models".

Old 03-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Peter Jason

No no!!!

I meant that the patents often refer to relevant texts which might be of use
to you!

For example, there is a recent US Patent....

United States Patent 6,696,619

Famodu , et al. February 24, 2004

"PLANT AMINOACYL-tRNA SYNTHASES"

which has the following abstract....................

Abstract

This invention relates to an isolated nucleic acid fragment encoding an
aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase. The invention also relates to the construction of
a chimeric gene encoding all or a portion of the aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase,
in sense or antisense orientation, wherein expression of the chimeric gene
results in production of altered levels of the aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase in
a transformed host cell.

It is the "other references" below which might be of use...

Other References

Bork, P. Genome Research, vol. 10, p. 398-400, 2000.*

Wolfgang Freist et al., Threonyl-tRNA Synthetase, Biol. Chem. Hoppe-Seyler,
vol. 376, pp 213-224, Apr. 1995.

Neidhart et al., (1975) Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 29:215-250.

Eriani et al. (1990) Nature 347:203-206.

Lloyd et al., (1995) Nucleic Acid Research 23(15):2882-2892.

NCBI General Identifier No. 3319776.

NCBI General Identifier No. 2501056.

NCBI General Identifier No. 3617770.

Plant Physiol. 121, 1053-1055 (1999) Nykiforuk et al.

Ovesna et al., Plant Mitochondria, From Gene to Function: 139-142 (1998).

Weygand-Durasevic, Nucleic Acid Research 15(5), 1887-1904 (1987) (Medline
87174725).

Pape et al., Nucleic Acid Research 13(17), 6171-6183 (1985) (Medline
86016080).

Note that patents are primarily LEGAL documents, so that the scientific bits
will have to be checked thoroughly.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:38 AM
David Hershey

Darren Garrison wrote in message . ..
Any good books or web sites with info on cloning plants from smallish tissue samples at home? I'm
interested in trying to clone some rare-ish/expensive-ish venus flytrap and pitcher plant cultivars.
Back in High School, I tried and failed cloning African Violets using one of the educational cloning
kits that were just coming onto the market at the time. I've found references to several "cloning
gel" products (mostly, apparently, on pothead sites). How useful would a product like this:
http://www.hydroponics-garden.com/rootechgel4oz.html be for my purposes? My main worry is getting
bacterial/fungal contamination in the medium-- and this claims to have "antimicrobials" in the
medium.

The cloning gel appears to be for regular size cuttings, not tissue
culture or micropropagation.

There are many books on plant tissue culture and also on carnivorous
plants. Check google.com and amazon.com.

Carnivorous Plant Tissue Culture
http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/tc.htm

There are a lot of carnivorous plant enthusiasts on the internet.

Venus Flytrap Mutants
http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html

International Carnivorous Plant Society
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/

Tissue culture at home is challenging because unless you have
thousands of dollars to spend, you have to make do without a laminar
flow hood or build one yourself. You can substitute a pressure cooker
for an autoclave to sterilize media and glassware.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Peter Jason

Tissue culture at home is challenging because unless you have
thousands of dollars to spend, you have to make do without a laminar
flow hood or build one yourself. You can substitute a pressure cooker
for an autoclave to sterilize media and glassware.

Could equipment be sterilized in a normal microwave oven?

Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Peter Jason

"David Hershey" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Jason" wrote in message

Tissue culture at home is challenging because unless you have
thousands of dollars to spend, you have to make do without a laminar
flow hood or build one yourself. You can substitute a pressure cooker
for an autoclave to sterilize media and glassware.

Could equipment be sterilized in a normal microwave oven?

You can't microwave metal instruments. You cannot get water above
boiling in a microwave. Everything I have ever seen or read on plant
tissue culture says you need a pressure cooker to sterilize water,
media, etc.

Here's more webpages on home tissue cultu

http://www.une.edu.au/~agronomy/AgSSrHortTCinfo.html

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm

http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Index.htm

Thanks for these pages - which are rather wonderful.
My interest is grafting to produce chimeras, and possibly I can use tissue
culture for this by microtoming slices of stock and scion, layering the
slices, and developing them on media.
Are there specific dyes for staining types of cells in a plant cross
section?

Old 06-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Iris Cohen

Could equipment be sterilized in a normal microwave oven? BRBR

No
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."