Old 18-05-2004, 03:07 AM
MP

Default Cruz de Malta

Hello,

looking for information on a flower called "Cruz de Malta". No idea what
its scientific name/classification is. I need to find some macro-type pics
of flowers/fruits/berries/leaves.

I have only found one picture on the net of one -- and it is not a very good
close-up.

Thanks in advance -- any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 18-05-2004, 06:10 AM
mel turner

In article q5eqc.108338$Ik.8864157@attbi_s53, [MP]
wrote...

Hello,

looking for information on a flower called "Cruz de Malta". No idea what
its scientific name/classification is. I need to find some macro-type pics
of flowers/fruits/berries/leaves.

Since this common name is just Spanish for "Maltese Cross",
it might very well be used for more than one species in different
places. In what context did you encounter the name?

Anyway, after Google Image searching, I found

http://www.nyboricua.com/images/Flor...DeMalta001.jpg

which looks like probably an _Ixora_ species [family Rubiaceae], and

http://www.lorescotropicalplants.hom...icalsPage.html

indeed shows an Ixora that is labelled "Cruz de Malta".

http://www.yunque.net/almaysuelo/Arbustos.htm indicates that

"Cruz de Malta" is used for _Ixora coccinea_

On the other hand,

http://sites.netsite.com.br/sistemaa...ofissional.htm

indicates that they're using the same name for Malpighia ilicifolia,
which is a very different plant.

Anyway,
http://www.google.com/search?q=+ixor...r=all&filter=0

seems to show a strong preponderance of the name being
used for Ixora.

So,
http://www.google.com/advanced_image...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8

will find you a lot of pictures of that species.

I have only found one picture on the net of one -- and it is not a very good
close-up.

Thanks in advance -- any help is greatly appreciated.

Hope I've helped.

http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf...20coccinea.pdf

may have useful info for you.

cheers

Old 18-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , mel turner mturner@sni
pthis.acpub.duke.edu writes
In article q5eqc.108338$Ik.8864157@attbi_s53, [MP]
wrote...

Hello,

looking for information on a flower called "Cruz de Malta". No idea what
its scientific name/classification is. I need to find some macro-type pics
of flowers/fruits/berries/leaves.

Since this common name is just Spanish for "Maltese Cross",
it might very well be used for more than one species in different
places. In what context did you encounter the name?

Anyway, after Google Image searching, I found

http://www.nyboricua.com/images/Flor...DeMalta001.jpg

A text search confirms my recollection that "Maltese Cross" is Lychnis
chalcedonica, and also shows that "Cruz de Malta" (and also "Croix de
Malte") is used (apparently infrequently) for this species. No other
Spanish name for Lychnis chalcedonica leaps out from Google.

which looks like probably an _Ixora_ species [family Rubiaceae], and

http://www.lorescotropicalplants.hom...icalsPage.html

indeed shows an Ixora that is labelled "Cruz de Malta".

http://www.yunque.net/almaysuelo/Arbustos.htm indicates that

"Cruz de Malta" is used for _Ixora coccinea_

On the other hand,

http://sites.netsite.com.br/sistemaa...ofissional.htm

indicates that they're using the same name for Malpighia ilicifolia,
which is a very different plant.

Anyway,
http://www.google.com/search?q=+ixor...%22&h l=en&lr
=&ie=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&filter=0

http://www.google.com/advanced_image...&svnu m=10&hl

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-05-2004, 02:29 PM
mel turner

In article ,
[Stewart Robert Hinsley] wrote...
[...]

Thanks, I completely missed that one. So, there definitely are
more than one type of plant being commonly called "Cruz de Malta"
in different parts of the world.

Original poster: Were you thinking of a European wildflower
or garden flower [Lychnis], or a tropical flowering shrub [Ixora]?
Or something entirely else?

[snip]

cheers

Old 18-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Iris Cohen

Sigh. You must not have a very good search engine. Cruz de Malta is Ixora
coccinea, which goes by a lot of other common names.
Here is a good reference, but with only one picture. However, with the right
Latin name, you should be able to find what you need.
http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf...20coccinea.pdf
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 19-05-2004, 01:09 AM
MP

--snip--

Original poster: Were you thinking of a European wildflower
or garden flower [Lychnis], or a tropical flowering shrub [Ixora]?
Or something entirely else?

I was thinking of of a tropical flowering shrub...

Old 04-06-2004, 11:04 AM
marcel.roche2

In french, "croix de Malte" is always identified to Tribulus terrestris L.
(Zygophyllaceae)
Marcel Roche

--snip--

Old 04-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Iris Cohen

This is why plants have botanical names, as common names are so confusing. In
this country, Lychnis coronaria is called Maltese cross. However, when I did a
search on the exact term Cruz de Malta, I turned up Ixora coccinea, which is
what the original inquiry was about.