Old 01-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Cereus-validus

Default RESCUED DRACAENA FROM GARBAGE, NEED ADVICE ON CARE

Only a complete idiot would keep a ratty sick plant, especially one that was
taken out of the garbage. The garbage is where it belongs.

Dracaena marginata is such a common plant in the nursery trade it is not at
all worth the risk infecting your other plants with a sick one. The wise
move would be to buy a new one. They are not expensive at all.

The only way you are green, Chris, is that you are a clueless naive neophyte
giving very bad and potentially dangerous advice. Don't listen to him Roger.

"Christopher Green" wrote in message
om...
(Roger L) wrote in message

. com...
Hi,

I found this plant in our apartment garage recently. It is about five
feet
tall. All of the top leaves are sort of brown at the top. Growth is
sparse. There is some new unhealthy looking growth on bottom
branches. There are empty many empty branches sticking up. I gave it
three glasses of water, as I do not know when it was watered last
time.

I put plant in a spot where it can get some light, but not direct sun
light.All I know about the plant is you are not supposed to give it to
much water.

Can someone kindly advise how to care for this plant.

REPLY BY POSTING ONLY.

Thanks.

Roger

Dracaena will root readily from stem cuttings. You might want to take
cuttings and start over. Once it gets going, it takes ordinary
houseplant care -- plenty of indirect light, and don't drown it. It's
hardy outdoors if you're in a place that gets no frost or little
frost.

If this is one of the striped or variegated dracaenas, you might
disregard the other posters and keep it anyway -- they can be striking
in the right situation. But if it is a plain green one, it is not
especially choice.

--
Chris Green

Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Roger L

How far down the branch do I cut? What kind of cut do I make. What
kind of soil do I put it in? Is there any particular part of plant you
would prefer to cut?

Reply by posting only.

Thanks.

Roger
Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Cereus-validus

What is your problem? Just throw the piece of trash back into the garbage
where you found it. Its not worth the futile effort to try to save it. You
will only be disappointed when it finally dies altogether.

Even Forrest Gump knew "Stupid is what stupid does". Don't be stupid.

om...

Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Christopher Green

(Roger L) wrote in message . com...
How far down the branch do I cut? What kind of cut do I make. What
kind of soil do I put it in? Is there any particular part of plant you
would prefer to cut?

Reply by posting only.

Thanks.

Roger

Dracaena will root from almost any cutting, stem or tip. Tips are
best, if your discard still has a decent growing tip, but a stem
section that isn't too old or dried out will work too. There's a guide
with more detail than I can quickly relate at
http://www.briansgarden.com/houseplants/030211h.html

If you see symptoms of soft rot (the name describes it well), which is
a common cause of failure when propagating dracaena, give up and
discard it. There's a good guide to commercial propagation of
dracaenas, including details on diseases you should indeed watch for
before salvaging a discarded plant, at
http://www.mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage...s/dracaena.htm

--
Chris Green