Old 15-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Roseb441702

Default Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant?

I was at my local Franks store because I wanted some tomato plants. I must
have been there after the good ones were taken but I was determined not to
leave without one! I got one that was so thin and small but I bought it and
took it home to plant it in the ground. My mother (she grew up on a farm) made
such fun of me but it did get healthier and produced some tomatoes.

***************************************
"Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
Put Your Voice Message Online at:
The ShoutOut Page
http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm
Old 15-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Starlord

I call my desert garden "The Home for Unwanted and Wayward Plants".

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

Old 15-07-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

They are going to add a turn lane down the FM road which intersects our
sub-division. There are many Texas redbuds, flameleaf sumac, cedar elms, and I
believe I saw some cenizo and yucca. I contacted the forester in our city and
he said he will let me know when. I think this fall since I saw them starting
with fixing the drainage problem on a hill near where these trees and plants
are. Boy, I sure would love a grove of redbuds under the live oaks in the
front. Good excuse to remove more sod and plant native groundcover.

Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

On 14 Jul 2003 23:55:06 GMT,
ospam (Roseb441702)
wrote:

I was at my local Franks store because I wanted some tomato plants. I must
have been there after the good ones were taken but I was determined not to
leave without one! I got one that was so thin and small but I bought it and
took it home to plant it in the ground. My mother (she grew up on a

farm) made
such fun of me but it did get healthier and produced some tomatoes.

I do it all the time.

Just "rescued" two handsome plants from the alley. Neighbor
who moved had dumped a lot of stuff. Had to pick one plant out of the
trash can.

I got three swordferns from a lumber-company-owned clear-cut where all the
remaining substory plants were suffering & dying wondering where the
forest went. Puny dried out swordferns are now flourishing giants.

I don't know if it qualifies as "saving" plants but I have often bought
pots of things that looked entirely dead, since I was pretty sure they
weren't dead, & one of my favorite nurseries regularly moves things to the
70% off back lot merely because some leaves turned brown. There are many
sorts of somewhat rare shade plants nurseries don't like to stock because
their bloom times are short, or they wilt away in summer, or they get
lanky fast if left in pots -- leaving the nursery too brief a window for
them to be easily salable. My very first cyclamen was given to me by a
nurseryman for free since he was otherwise going to discard what looked
like mere pots of dirt. That pot of dirt transformed me into a hardcore
cyclamen fan for life.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 15-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Phisherman

I bought a small scraggly clematis plant from Lowe, marked down to 25
cents. I prepared a $10 hole for the plant, a homemade trellis and
kept it watered. Not much happened the following year, but now it
covered the entire 10-foot trellis and is covered with blooms. I
found it is much better to buy a small plant rather than a large one,
if yo ucan find a small one.
Old 15-07-2003, 05:52 PM
GrampysGurl

I was at my local Franks store because I wanted some tomato plants. I must
have been there after the good ones were taken but I was determined not to
leave without one! I got one that was so thin and small but I bought it and
took it home to plant it in the ground. My mother (she grew up on a farm)
made
such fun of me but it did get healthier and produced some tomatoes.

***************************************
"Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
Put Your Voice Message Online at:
The ShoutOut Page
http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm

I do this all the time, especially at the home depot where they totally abuse
plants.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 15-07-2003, 05:52 PM
GrampysGurl

all the time.

Just "rescued" two handsome plants from the alley. Neighbor
who moved had dumped a lot of stuff. Had to pick one plant out of the
trash can.

done that too
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 15-07-2003, 10:25 PM
animaux

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:40:12 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I bought a small scraggly clematis plant from Lowe, marked down to 25
cents. I prepared a $10 hole for the plant, a homemade trellis and
kept it watered. Not much happened the following year, but now it
covered the entire 10-foot trellis and is covered with blooms. I
found it is much better to buy a small plant rather than a large one,
if yo ucan find a small one.

I fully agree. The plant adapts much faster and will be a lot happier in the
long run. We have that great Lowes section of 25 cent plants here, too. I go
crazy. Just because things aren't in flower, they mark it down. Just when I
thought I wouldn't and promised I wouldn't buy another plant this year if I
could just have the skylight, I bought more. Skylight pending!

Old 16-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Jessica

Just rescued one on Monday! On Sunday, I was wandering about Rite Aid and
noticed they had a 50 percent off rack with a few wilted, abused plants that
looked as if they had not seen a drop of water in a long time. I saw a very
limp Blue Marguerite daisy for 50 cents. At least that is what the marker
said, it could be a different daisy for all I know, the blooms have all
dried up! Of course, the store had just closed when I went in to go buy it.
Fearing someone else might snatch it up the next day, I hid it behind
healthier plants and went back for it on Monday. Silly, I know, but I'm very
fond of blue daisies and none of the other stores in town were selling any.

"Plant rescue" I said to my fiancé as he drove me into town the next day. "I
should start a mission and call it PETP: People for the Ethical Treatment of
Plants!" To which he just laughed and told me to just get my flowers and
lets get going "as we had other places to be." So I purchased the relieved
daisies for 27 cents (as it was half off) and promised the others I'd be
back on Wednesday to bring them to a better place. Hopefully, Rite Aid will
not throw them away by the time I get there!

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Salty Thumb

"Jessica" wrote in
:

"Plant rescue" I said to my fianc?as he drove me into town the next
day. "I should start a mission and call it PETP: People for the
Ethical Treatment of Plants!" To which he just laughed and told me to

you should be aware that a lot of the people in this newsgroup belong to
the other PETP - People Eating Tasty Plants :-)
Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
David Hill

I think that most gardeners find the "Casualty corner" of garden centres and
nurseries.
I picked up 10 plants last week 3 with at least 50% off and the other 7 with
75% off, all doing well, and 2 Ajuga "Artic Fox" have now given me 15 young
plants as well as still having 2 stock plants.
Then on Saturday I visited local floristry wholesaler and rescued 4 trays
(4x6) hostas and 3 trays Pieris with 15 plants (other 3 were Dead), all the
worse for lack of water and light........cost £10 the lot (that's $ 16 ).
All are sitting up and taking light refreshment, and should make a full
recovery for next year.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-07-2003, 01:42 AM
animaux

Hmmm, what's this ajuga 'Arctic Fox?' Sounds interesting.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:50:35 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

I think that most gardeners find the "Casualty corner" of garden centres and
nurseries.
I picked up 10 plants last week 3 with at least 50% off and the other 7 with
75% off, all doing well, and 2 Ajuga "Artic Fox" have now given me 15 young
plants as well as still having 2 stock plants.
Then on Saturday I visited local floristry wholesaler and rescued 4 trays
(4x6) hostas and 3 trays Pieris with 15 plants (other 3 were Dead), all the
worse for lack of water and light........cost £10 the lot (that's $ 16 ).
All are sitting up and taking light refreshment, and should make a full
recovery for next year.

[IMG] code is On

"My" hummingbirds (as if anybody ever owns a hummingbird) Paddy's Pig[_4_] Garden Photos 7 06-05-2010 11:19 PM
has anybody ever agentelrond Gardening 8 07-06-2008 01:00 AM
Anybody ever hear of a Pentaphylanges tree? Bob Giel Plant Science 1 30-08-2004 12:53 AM
Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant? (1/2) [email protected] Gardening 6 22-07-2003 04:02 AM
Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant? paghat Gardening 8 21-07-2003 07:06 PM