Old 04-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Question for Cereus

Despite your prickles, it is obvious that you are better versed in taxonomy and
plant nomenclature than anyone else in these parts. Can you steer me toward a
better resource for identifying my mystery juniper? If you recall, a batch of
these trees was donated to our bonsai club as J. sabina 'Broadmoor.' They match
all the references and pictures I found on the Web, except that Dirr says it is
a male clone and these have cones. Also, the Encyclopedia of Conifers shows a
yellowish green color, while most resources identify it as grayish or bluish,
which these are.
Thanks,
Iris
uncurable Jewish mother
Old 04-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Iris Cohen

Dirr describes Broadmoor thus:
"A dwarf, low-spreading, staminate form which looks like a neat form of var.
TAMARISCIFOLIA when young, but the plant tends to build up at the center
with age, the main branches are strong and horizontally spreading; the
branchlets short and reaching upwards; the sprays very short, occurring
mainly on the upper side of the branches; the foliage is a soft grayish
green and is resistant to juniper blight; this clone as well as 'Arcadia'
and 'Skandia' were selected from many thousands of seedlings raised by D.
Hill Nursery Co., Dundee, IL from seed imported from near Saint Petersburg,
Russia in 1933; all have proved resistant to juniper blight; Zone 4; will
grow 2 to 3' high and 10' wide or more..." Staminate describes an imperfect
flower with only functional stamens, male.

That is a very good description of the ones we have, except for the berries.
Iris
I found out it's even difficult to ID an Iris Cohen. There are three "clones"
by that name on AOL, and two of them are social workers. ;-)
Old 04-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Cereus-validus

Sorry but trees and their garden cultivars aren't my thing. I am more
interested in annuals, perennials and especially succulent plants.

It is nice to know that mislabeling is a universal problem.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

question for Cereus madgardener Gardening 2 01-11-2005 12:17 AM
Cereus-Validus is an offensive troll escapee Gardening 23 15-04-2004 09:02 PM
Cereus question gwayner Plant Science 17 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Not Cereus peruvianus jc Gardening 1 20-02-2003 03:15 AM
Cereus question gwayner Plant Science 19 19-02-2003 09:38 PM