Old 17-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Dr. Ellis D

Default Leaves

Why do leaves change colors in the fall? Thanks.
Old 18-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Cereus-longispinus

Why not?

You mean to say that a Google search didn't turn up anything explaining
this? I find that rather hard to believe.

And you have the nerve to call yourself a doctor.

"Dr. Ellis D" wrote in message
om...
Why do leaves change colors in the fall? Thanks.

Old 18-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Peter

Ignore Serial Longpuss - he does this to everyone.

"Dr. Ellis D" wrote in message
om...
Why do leaves change colors in the fall? Thanks.

Old 18-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Cereus-longispinus

If you are so damn superior, why didn't you answer the question, Dick? If
you don't know anything, you aren't qualified to criticize, you wannabe
ponce.

"Peter" wrote in message
Ignore Serial Longpuss - he does this to everyone.

"Dr. Ellis D" wrote in message
om...
Why do leaves change colors in the fall? Thanks.

Old 18-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Iris Cohen

Why do leaves change colors in the fall?

The shortening daylength causes the trees to change their logistics of sugar
usage and start moving sugar to the roots for winter storage. Some of the extra
sugar is converted to anthocyanin and other pigment and remains in the leaves.
Some of the yellow color is probably caused by chlorophyll becoming paler. Also
keep in mind that in some trees there was some pigment present all summer, but
it was masked by the green chlorophyll.
Another factor is that anthocyanin production is enhanced by sunlight during
the day and cool temperatures at night. You will notice that houseplants with
red flowers or red leaves color up more if they have bright light and cool
temperatures.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 18-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Iris Cohen

Oh dear, I was afraid our resident curmudgeon would say something like this.
Did you get my message? Considering the questions we get occasionally, I
suspect that the teaching of basic biology in public schools for the past 30
years or more has been atrocious. I was very fortunate, but that was 60 years
ago.
Old 18-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Cereus-longispinus

Thanks Iris.

Its not as though the topic would be covered in biology books nor explained
in any websites on the internet, isn't it?

A quick Google search turned up only 462,000 entries on the topic!!!!! See
for yourself.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Sea rch

That the dimwit is too lazy to look it up for himself is inexcusable.

Peter Popoff can just bite himself.

Old 18-10-2004, 08:08 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-longispinus schreef
A quick Google search turned up only 462,000 entries on the topic!!!!! See
for yourself.

... is too lazy to look it up for himself is inexcusable.

***
It is a lot of things but "inexcusable" is something else. "Inexcusable"
might perhaps be applied to those who use insulting language without
provocation.

So what does "Cereus longispinus" is supposed to mean? The "wax-candle with
the long spine" i.e. "the hump-backed candle". An attempt to express you are
bent?
PvR

Old 19-10-2004, 05:33 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-longispinus" wrote in
om:

"Dr. Ellis D" wrote in message
om...
Why do leaves change colors in the fall? Thanks.

Why not?

You mean to say that a Google search didn't turn up anything
explaining this? I find that rather hard to believe.

And you have the nerve to call yourself a doctor.

My Neurologist knows pretty much nothing about plants, but when it
comes time for adjusting my meds, I talk to him, instead of you, eh?

Is it possible that the good doctor may be asking for the ultimate
cause of the change instead of the proximal cause? How much good is
a google search going to help with that?

Sean
Old 19-10-2004, 09:25 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-longispinus
Why does the name Cereus-longispinus have to have some hidden meaning?

* * *
Actually I am just looking at its face value, I certainly don't want to
delve into your personality

* * *
Did you ever consider it might be an actual plant name?

* * *
No, not really. A quick check suggests that it (leaving the hyphen aside)
once was published as a botanical name, but that it is not in use, and
probably has not been in the recent past.
PvR

Old 19-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Sean Houtman

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in
:

Cereus-longispinus
Why does the name Cereus-longispinus have to have some hidden
meaning?

* * *
Actually I am just looking at its face value, I certainly don't
want to delve into your personality

* * *
Did you ever consider it might be an actual plant name?

* * *
No, not really. A quick check suggests that it (leaving the hyphen
aside) once was published as a botanical name, but that it is not
in use, and probably has not been in the recent past.
PvR

Britton and Rose listed it as a synonym for Trichocereus chiloensis
in 1920. Current standing appears to be as a synonym for Eulychnia
breviflora.

Sean