Old 10-11-2004, 03:07 AM
Aaron

That is what I saw and photographed including the white fiberous
material. Looks like the solution. Since I'm not a grower who has to
invest in pest control, this answer is good enough for me. Thanks for
your help.

Aaron

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:40:24 GMT, Roger Whitehead
wrote:

In article , Roger Whitehead wrote:
The location of the eggs is unusual, though.

Aha! See here - http://tinyurl.com/3pv2t . The calyx end of the apple is
where the stalk goes.

Roger

Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Aaron

Hi Roger,

I went back to the site in New Zeland and the last image of the winter
eggs shows them on the fruit at the stem end.

http://www.hortnet.co.nz/key/keys/bu...s/ermwegg6.htm

That pretty much clinches the answer.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:32 AM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Aaron wrote:
Since I'm not a grower who has to
invest in pest control, this answer is good enough for me. Thanks for
your help.

Glad to have been able to help. I've learned, too.

Roger

Old 11-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Sean Houtman

Roger Whitehead wrote in
:

In article , Roger Whitehead
wrote:
The location of the eggs is unusual, though.

Aha! See here - http://tinyurl.com/3pv2t . The calyx end of the
apple is where the stalk goes.

Roger

Er, the calyx end of an apple is the other end from the stem, as
apple flowers are not inferior.

Those do look much like the image that Aaron posted, if you look
closely at his image, you can see the little stringy bit on a few of
the objects.

Sean

Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Sean Houtman

Aaron wrote in
:

Hello,

I went back and looked at other apples. I am sure that what I
asked about is not theremainder of the flower parts. I recognized
these. I am now sure that what I observed was a fungus or other
infestation. It was very slight but I saw it at both the stem and
flower ends. At the flower end the unknown material wa outside of
the flower parts and onto the skin of the apple.

Does this help in further identification. The round bodies were
sherical (not oblong), bright red and irregularly spaced. The
red objects were surrounded by a white filamentous material.

The filamentous material is just some of the tomentum, or matted
hairs that you get on apples, pears, and quince.

Sean

Old 11-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Roger Whitehead

In article 1100153620.+ucgMOuHCqEDFB56eQa6SA@teranews, Sean Houtman
wrote:
Er, the calyx end of an apple is the other end from the stem,

So it is. Silly of me.

Roger

Old 14-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Aaron

Again Thank you to all that offered helped. I've learned to examin
fruit from the supermarket before I eat it. The last bunch of apples
had four caterpillars around the stem deep in the depression. I never
expected to see evidence of the pests that attack apples after they
have been processed and packed for market, but I was wrong.

Aaron

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:15:06 GMT, Sean Houtman
wrote:

Aaron wrote in
:

Old 14-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Aaron wrote:
I never
expected to see evidence of the pests that attack apples after they
have been processed and packed for market, but I was wrong.

Which just goes to show how the big food retailers have conditioned our
thinking about such produce. Most of the time, you'd never think it came
from nature.

Roger

Old 14-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Iris Cohen

You still have a spelling problem. Macintoshes with OS X NEVER have worms. ;-)
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
Old 14-11-2004, 02:55 PM

In article ,
Roger Whitehead wrote:
In article , Aaron wrote:
I never
expected to see evidence of the pests that attack apples after they
have been processed and packed for market, but I was wrong.

Which just goes to show how the big food retailers have conditioned our
thinking about such produce. Most of the time, you'd never think it came
from nature.

Most consumers are appalled by visible defects from insects, weather or
disease, but usually completely unconcerned about invisible pesticide
residues. Out of sight, out of mind works well even for an emotional
issue like food -- if you've ever seen what goes on in a restaurant
kitchen or food processing plant, you'd probably do your best to suppress
the memory or else grow and cook your own from then on.

Btw, I'm as hypocritical and unreasonable as anyone else -- I eat
defective produce from my garden that I wouldn't buy from a store. Does
this mean that I trust my very own slugs more? Having put the effort
into growing it, I'm willing to cut out the bad spots. I'm much less
willing to do so for something I pay for, even though I know why it
shows no insect damage. But I seldom pay the extra for certified
organic produce. One reason it's more expensive, is that they have
lower yields of salable, i.e. cosmetically perfect, produce. The
consumer of organic produce seems to be willing to buy small or
asymmetric apples, but not visibly damaged ones. Meanwhile, large
commercial producers may discard a third of a carrot crop because the
carrots aren't straight. So it goes.