Old 06-12-2004, 01:47 PM
wojtek

Default poison ivy

I would be interested in getting some toxicodendron seeds (common
name, Poison Ivy latin nameToxicodendron radicans or Rhus radicans)-
for experimental purposes.
anyone can help ?
thanx

Wojt.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Inyo

Subject: poison ivy
From: (wojtek)

I would be interested in getting some toxicodendron seeds (common
name, Poison Ivy latin nameToxicodendron radicans or Rhus radicans)-
for experimental purposes.
anyone can help ?
thanx

I have never been exposed to Poison Ivy, but I must state for the record that I
am so exquisitely sensitive to Poison Oak (AKA Toxiconfrendon diversilobum)
that, with little exaggeration, I can credibly document that all I have to do
is merely look at P. Oak from an ostensibly "safe" distance and I am certain to
suffer the serious consequences of exposure to the nasty active irritating
chemical, urishol.

Seriously, folks, the last time I had a literal brush with Poison Oak, my
physician placed me on a diet of steroids for three weeks to help retaliate
against the devastating consequences of my own inferior ability (AKA,
stupidity) to spot with efficiency the distinctive shape of the P. Oak leaves
while roaming about the back country in search of fossil plant localities in
the western foothills of California's Sierra Nevada. The itch generated by P.
Oak feels like it is penetrating clear through to the bone--in my specific
case, you can't knock it down without prescription steroids. But, of course,
that maddening "itch" is only the beginning of the hideous torment. The
distinctive P. Oak rash rapidly produces the kind of pain and inflammation of
the epidermis that is commonly associated with a second-degree burn--similar to
the suffering generated when caustic, undiluted acid is tossed upon exposed
skin. This is not good.

"Turn! Turn! Turn!--my solo, acoustic, instrumental 6-string guitar version of
the classic composition by Pete Seeger (lyrics adapted from The Bible's Book of
Ecclesiastes; music by Pete Seeger, as well)--a song made world-famous by The
Byrds, who took "Turn! Turn! Turn!" to #1 in the US in 1965
http://members.aol.com/Waucoba4/music/turnturnturn.html
Old 06-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Mike Griggs

[...]

Seems like you would be a good candidate for desensitization shots!
In Grad school I was working on Dutch Elm Disease & everywhere there are
elms there is poison ivy--I like you would look at a bush of P. i. &
would almost instantly erupt in blisters--my eye's would swell closed.

My major professor got tired of me off work with the condition so he
payed for the shots--during one winter. Even today I can handle P.i.
with my hands with no outbreak--sure if I rub it up & down my arm I do
get a rash but nothing like before the shots.

Look into it. You may like it!

Good luck Mike

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM