Old 25-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Learning to put rabbits to advantage

In years past there was little choice but to BB gun or pellet shoot
rabbits to get their numbers population down. After the farmers fields
were cleared then lawns received a huge influx of rabbits and with a
deep snow cover every small tree is girdled and either killed or
stunted.

But this year was no permanent and steep snowcover. Although I did have
some damage, and perhaps a few killed pine trees, it was not a bad
winter so far.

What I have learned is how to take advantage of rabbits. I trimmed an
old and side branch heavy apple tree and I left the cut branches around
the tree. These have attracted the rabbits so much that the ground is
covered with rabbit scats which is very good fertilizer. So the apple
tree needed pruning and the rabbits turned the branches into fertilizer.
Those branches look more like a bone field, metaphorically, than a
branch field in that the bark and green layer are stripped.

So I think in the winters ahead, that I will combine these tactics on
rabbits in a combination of getting them to convert unwanted tree growth
into fertilizer and some shooting if the numbers get out of control and
finally of course to pipe plastic pipe around vulnerable young trees.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Was I taken advantage of? C Gardening 7 26-09-2006 04:32 PM
Any dis/advantage to cutting the runners on the Water Hyacinths Bill Stock Ponds 2 07-02-2006 03:07 AM
UV sterilizer - Advantage UV 2000 Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM