Old 05-02-2005, 09:08 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default palms

For those who love palms, the new book by Lorenzi & al. is worth looking at.
They did the usual splendid job on lay-out and printing. A pity palms are
not all that photogenic.
PvR

Old 05-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Iris Cohen

For those who love palms, the new book by Lorenzi & al. is worth looking at.
BRBR

Is there anything I need to know about pygmy date palm?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
Old 05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

For those who love palms, the new book by Lorenzi & al. is worth
looking at.

Iris Cohen schreef
Is there anything I need to know about pygmy date palm?

***
It all depends.
I doubt that whatever you want to know can be found in Lorenzi's book.
You probably would be happier with Okita & Hollenberg's book?
(all right, all right, not the same thing: an oldie and not in the same
league)
PvR

Old 05-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Iris Cohen

I looked on the Web and found out 3 things.
1. it is frost hardy, at least to Zone 9.
2. It is from southeast Asia.
3. They can't seem to agree whether it is spelled roebelinii or roebelenii. IK
has roebelinii.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Iris Cohen

You probably would be happier with Okita & Hollenberg's book?

Who are they? Would they have information on growing it indoors (in winter) as
a quasi-bonsai?
I am wondering if the one I have is correctly labeled. The sources on the Web
said that it doesn't clump, but this one has produced pups when it was in the
mood. And it's supposed to have thorns, which mine doesn't. If it's not P.
roebelinii, what have I got? It certainly looks like a date palm.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

You probably would be happier with Okita & Hollenberg's book?

Iris Cohen schreef
Who are they? Would they have information on growing it indoors (in

winter) as a quasi-bonsai?

***
OK. I give up. You win.
PvR

Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
3. They can't seem to agree whether it is spelled roebelinii or

roebelenii. IK has roebelinii.

***
Ah. An Orthography question.

Apparently the species was named after a Mr Roebelen
The Original Spelling is _roebelinii_
It can be argued both ways:
1) maintain the Original Spelling: _roebelinii_
2) correct to the recommended form: _roebelenii_
Both lines of argument will have their adherents, but the latter are winning
(have just about won).
PvR

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms John B. Australia 3 28-03-2003 12:56 AM
Palms Plant Biology 0 27-03-2003 12:20 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM