Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
o8TY

Default Blanching of plants while still growing

I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching of
plants whilst still growing.

I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find
quotations.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 28-03-2005, 12:02 AM

o8TY wrote:
I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching

of
plants whilst still growing.

I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find
quotations.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Do you know what words they used for "blanch"? Then we can look for
clues in the dictionaries which give author references.

--
Mike.

Old 28-03-2005, 04:18 PM
o8TY

wrote in message
oups.com...

o8TY wrote:
I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching

of
plants whilst still growing.

I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find
quotations.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Do you know what words they used for "blanch"? Then we can look for
clues in the dictionaries which give author references.

--
Mike.

I have not found an exact match yet and searching for blanching has proved
futile.

An earlier respondent * (humanities classics) gave

* The Greek for white is "leukos" as in leukaemia. So I did an entry in
* Perseus and came up with this list.
* http://tinyurl.com/3t4xn

However, I am already dreading having to go through this list.

A more refined list was found by searching the Perseus Digital Library for
the Latin pallesco (ie make pale as in blanching) as used by Pliny,

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...3A1999.04.0059
%3Aentry%3D%2333483

but none of these were used by the Greeks wrt blanching plants.

* I particularly like "leukophyllos" (white-leaved) and "leukathidzo" (to be
* white). You might hit gold by following the links on some of these.

It struck me as odd that Theophrastus described so many cultivated
varieties of salad plants as white (leuko-), including Heraclea - a species
of white acanthus (leuko akantha), but he never said whether they were
natural or manufactured, nor discussed the process of blanching.

Leeks -blanching. Alan McKenzie United Kingdom 4 23-04-2006 02:36 PM
Blanching Griff United Kingdom 1 26-08-2005 08:03 AM
Self Blanching Celery Leslie United Kingdom 0 22-07-2005 07:35 PM
Freezing without blanching Broadback United Kingdom 4 14-07-2005 10:32 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM