Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Broadback

Default Freezing without blanching

Somewhere (probably here) I have read that one can freeze vegetables
without blanching. Does this apply to all veg, in particular
cauliflowers? I am most interested to hear from people who have
personal experience of this.
TIA
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Somewhere (probably here) I have read that one can freeze vegetables
without blanching. Does this apply to all veg, in particular
cauliflowers? I am most interested to hear from people who have
personal experience of this.

You may well have heard it here, however, there is plenty of dissent on
the subject.

My cookbooks advise blanching all vegetables before freezing to kill
certain food-poisoning bacteria which can multiply (slowly!) at ****
freezer temperatures.

I don't blanch fruit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Somewhere (probably here) I have read that one can freeze vegetables
without blanching. Does this apply to all veg, in particular
cauliflowers? I am most interested to hear from people who have
personal experience of this.

Perhaps you read it here when it was discussed a few days ago.

Janet

Old 14-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:29:20 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

My cookbooks advise blanching all vegetables before freezing to kill
certain food-poisoning bacteria which can multiply (slowly!) at ****
freezer temperatures.

You blanch veggies not to kill bacteria so much as to render inactive
enzymes that would otherwise cause deterioration even when frozen.

Bacterial contamination of vegetables is pretty much a matter of
surface contamination. You can pretty much get rid of superficial
bacteria by swishing in cool water with a dash of dishwashing liquid,
then rinsing thoroughly. An organic liquid soap is perhaps even better
for this purpose.

I don't blanch fruit.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 14-07-2005, 10:32 PM
pammyT

wrote:

My cookbooks advise blanching all vegetables before freezing to kill
certain food-poisoning bacteria which can multiply (slowly!) at ****
freezer temperatures.

You blanch veggies not to kill bacteria so much as to render inactive
enzymes that would otherwise cause deterioration even when frozen.

Bacterial contamination of vegetables is pretty much a matter of
surface contamination. You can pretty much get rid of superficial
bacteria by swishing in cool water with a dash of dishwashing liquid,
then rinsing thoroughly. An organic liquid soap is perhaps even better
for this purpose.

I don't blanch fruit.

I am led to understand a vinegar solution to be as effective.

Leeks -blanching. Alan McKenzie United Kingdom 4 23-04-2006 02:36 PM
Blanching Griff United Kingdom 1 26-08-2005 08:03 AM
Self Blanching Celery Leslie United Kingdom 0 22-07-2005 07:35 PM
Blanching of plants while still growing o8TY Plant Science 2 28-03-2005 04:18 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM