Old 10-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Animals which spread the seeds of Cascabela Thevetia

In most professional literatures, all parts of Cascabela Thevetia (Syn.
Thevetia Peruviana) are refered to as highly poisonous. This includes
the fruit pulp. In an attempt to find-out about the fruit toxicity, I
have observed how the fruit develops. When mature, it falls on the
floor, and its pulp has a sweet smell (I did not taste it). This is a
common feature among fruits which disperse their seeds by grazing
animals eating them, including mammals, although not necessarily
equally safe to all such animals.

Although seeds and plant parts are all toxic, there have been some
inconclusive results regarding the edibility of the fruit itself. An
example of plant poisoning article in this website

http://members.tripod.com/~Prof_Anil.../poiso031.html

refers to fruit toxicity in one part, while it says that it is
occasionally eaten by humans in another part. Are there different
varieties of the same plant (one produced the poisonous fruit, the
other does not)? In the wild, which animal safely eats the fruit, and
is that related to an edible or poisonous variety?

Old 10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef in
Although seeds and plant parts are all toxic, there have been some
inconclusive results regarding the edibility of the fruit itself. An
example of plant poisoning article in this website

http://members.tripod.com/~Prof_Anil.../poiso031.html

refers to fruit toxicity in one part, while it says that it is
occasionally eaten by humans in another part.

***
Actually, it only says that the fruit is edible, with the rest of the plant
poisonous. If fruits are attractive-looking and sweet-smelling they are
almost invariably edible (of course some exceptions do exist). To be sure,
in some cases the seeds can be quite poisonous, which means the digestive
system had better operate smoothly.
PvR

Old 11-05-2005, 04:48 AM

The following website says Thevetia peruviana is bird dispersed:

http://www.hear.org/pier/wra/pacific...na_htmlwra.htm

David R. Hershey

Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM
wcb

[...]

The AMA handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants states that
it all parts of this plant are poisonous, particularly the seeds.

The poisons are glycosoides similar to foxglove.

There are any number of plants that seem to be totally poisonous,
why this should be so is hard to understand. I would wonder if
some herbivores can taste such glycosoides and avoid them
this way? This plant originally seems to be from Peru, no idea
what animals might be in a position to feed off of them.

I have read this plant has also been a known killer in Hawaii.

Perhaps it is something else? Mouse builds nest under Be Still tree.
Tasty Be Still tree fruits drop from tree.
Mouse eats tasty fruit, mouse dies. Mouse body fertilizes Be Still
Tree.

--

When I shake my killfile, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie