Old 25-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Dan Dixon

Default Grass border question

Hello,

I have built a pond that has about a 5 foot long grass border on one side
(the rest is edged with stone). Although I sloped the liner under the sod
away from the pond, the very edge of the soil under the grass is slowly
eroding back from the pond edge, probably from all the heavy rains we've
gotten. I was trying to think of some way to line the edge of the sod in
order to retain the soil. I've seen plastic edgings for sale, but they seem
pricey and I would prefer something more natural-looking...maybe cocoa
matting or some such, with bamboo skewers to hold it in place. The thickness
of the edge is about 3 or 4 inches.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

TIA,

Dan Dixon

Old 27-06-2003, 07:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"Dan Dixon" wrote in message
Hello,

I have built a pond that has about a 5 foot long grass border on one side
(the rest is edged with stone). Although I sloped the liner under the sod
away from the pond, the very edge of the soil under the grass is slowly
eroding back from the pond edge, probably from all the heavy rains we've
gotten. I was trying to think of some way to line the edge of the sod in
order to retain the soil. I've seen plastic edgings for sale, but they

seem
pricey and I would prefer something more natural-looking...maybe cocoa
matting or some such, with bamboo skewers to hold it in place. The

thickness
of the edge is about 3 or 4 inches.

I used very small pieces of thin slate/bluestone where mud was leaching in.
Some of it is still there, and just barely sticks out of the grass which I
have let over grow the pond. In other areas, the grass roots are so thick
the mud no longer leaches into the pond.

BV.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:32 AM
JoeT

If you have the liner laid out and simply put sod on top of it there's a
strong chance the grass will die off especially in hot weather. There has to
be a decent amount of soil available for the sod to take root and remain
healthy. Get some typical black edging and put it as near as you can to the
pond edge and roll the liner over it and then straight down into the soil on
the other side so the sod lays up against the opposite side of the
edging/liner without actually laying on any liner. With a good soil base
under it and no liner the sod should take hold and grow over the visible
edge. Eventually you'll be asking how to keep the grass out of the pond
instead grin

Gravel border question Alun Gardening 0 26-03-2008 12:18 PM
Plain green ordinary border grass, you dig laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 0 02-05-2007 05:28 AM
Border full of couch grass! scorpy66 United Kingdom 9 11-06-2006 10:34 AM
newbie~~~ Border under Tree for Grass Question J~ Gardening 2 28-04-2006 06:49 PM
Attractive Hedge Border Mike United Kingdom 1 19-02-2003 09:58 PM