Old 15-08-2003, 05:57 AM
abartoo

Default ove-rwintering plants

Has anyone had much luck over-wintering plants. This will be my first
winter as a pond owner and I was wanting to try it out. How should I do it.
Just put them in a container with some water from the pond and give them
light? Will artificial light, such as a florescent fixture, be o.k. Do I
still fertilize as often or not?
andy

Old 15-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Jerrispond

Has anyone had much luck over-wintering plants. This will be my first
winter as a pond owner and I was wanting to try it out. How should I do it

where do you live, and what kind of plants....also how big is your pond?
Jerri

Old 16-08-2003, 01:02 AM
abartoo

I live in zone 5. My pond is about 500 gal. roughly. The main plant I was
wanting to over-winter were the hyacinths. the potted plants I was going to
trim back and put them in the deep part of the pond which is about 32 in.
deep.
andy

Old 16-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Jerrispond

I live in zone 5. My pond is about 500 gal. roughly. The main plant I was
wanting to over-winter were the hyacinths. the potted plants I was going to

I have only heard of 2 people who have been successful, and the grow lights and
electricity cost more than several years of buying new ones.....they are very
hard to overwinter. Jerri

Old 16-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Ghislain

Potted plants in the pond last year I brought them in the basement,no lights
except the window lights and kept them in containers with water.They all are
doing well this summer in the fish pond.

Old 17-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Amanda Pope

At the nursery we overwinter eichornia indoors in wet mud.

Having said that I lost the lot last year ( not enough mud) but dont wory
these plants are realy cheap to buy . and can be treated as annuals

any problem getting new stock or local nurseries charging too much let me
know I can mail order.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Jerrispond

any problem getting new stock or local nurseries charging too much let me
know I can mail order.

To Atlanta Georgia?????? LOL Jerri