Old 11-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Nicholas Walker

Default Clay pond help please

I've recently scooped out an old silted up pond in my garden which filled up
and overflowed every winter but dried out in the summer. It's a fairly
large triangle of about 20 yards each side. It takes four days to fill with
a hose and then two days to drain. The clay base (of unknown thickness)
seems watertight, but I reckon it's leeching out where the clay meets the
topsoil sides.

What are my options? It's a bit big for a liner but I understand that the
clay could be extended up the sides. What is the technique for doing this?
How thick does the layer of clay need to be? How do I test that the clay to
be used is up to the job?

Many thanks in anticipation

Old 11-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Simon Avery

"Nicholas Walker" wrote:

Hello Nicholas

NW I've recently scooped out an old silted up pond in my garden
NW which filled up and overflowed every winter but dried out in
NW the summer. It's a fairly large triangle of about 20 yards
NW each side. It takes four days to fill with a hose and then
NW two days to drain. The clay base (of unknown
NW thickness) seems watertight, but I reckon it's leeching out
NW where the clay meets the topsoil sides.

If it's leaking there, then why is it emptying completely?

Clay is great, until it's allowed to dry out. Then it cracks and needs
to be repuddled to make it proof. Chances are you have several leaks
at all depths.

NW What are my options? It's a bit big for a liner but I

Yers, it is. Cost me 500ukp for butyl for a 8Mx5M liner, so would be
very expensive for your pond.

NW understand that the clay could be extended up the sides.
NW What is the technique for doing this? How thick does the

Google around for "clay puddling" - there's probably a few sites
detailing how it was done. From what I've read (not done), you get rid
of all the topsoil and gunk in the pond. Soak the clay. Jump in
barefoot and squelch around for ages to work it together and make it
workable. Then you smear it around with hands and feet, polishing off
the top layer. And don't let it dry out - keep working the layer just
above the waterline as it fills. Although if it takes four days, you
might want to point a sprinkler at it to give you more time.

It's a very messy job.

NW layer of clay need to be?

Check, but I think it's around 4-6", maybe thicker at the base.
Obviously keep the layer up to the very top.

NW How do I test that the clay to be used is up to the job?

When it stops leaking.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
moose

"Nicholas Walker" wrote in message
I've recently scooped out an old silted up pond in my garden which filled

up
and overflowed every winter but dried out in the summer. It's a fairly
large triangle of about 20 yards each side. It takes four days to fill

with
a hose and then two days to drain. The clay base (of unknown thickness)
seems watertight, but I reckon it's leeching out where the clay meets the
topsoil sides.

What are my options? It's a bit big for a liner but I understand that the
clay could be extended up the sides. What is the technique for doing

this?
How thick does the layer of clay need to be? How do I test that the clay

be used is up to the job?

Many thanks in anticipation

Don't go there, believe me, It will do your head in, however thick the clay,
as the wind and sun evaporate the surface water, the clay will dry out,
contract,and send cracks down the banking.
I landed up bringing the bull dozer in, plenty of hardcore and then laced
with heavy chicken wire, followed by concrete, not cheap! but I have never
bothered since, It's called piece of mind.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

If the pond is completely draining there's a hole at the bottom or the water
is making it through the clay. Does the clay go up the sides or is it only
on the bottom?

Old 12-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Mickey

Do some internet searching for something to put in the pond to slow the
leaks down. Maybe there is a clay or something that will suspend itself in
the water and clog the cracks up as it runs out the hole,

Old 12-09-2003, 07:48 AM
moose

"Mickey" wrote in message
Do some internet searching for something to put in the pond to slow the
leaks down. Maybe there is a clay or something that will suspend itself in
the water and clog the cracks up as it runs out the hole,

Water will always react with clay as any sculptor will verify, all clay
ponds, (referred to as bogs in our village) dry out in the summer.
What some people think are clay ponds, are actually gravel pits,as in most
quarries.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Tumbleweed

"Nicholas Walker" wrote in message
I've recently scooped out an old silted up pond in my garden which filled

up
and overflowed every winter but dried out in the summer. It's a fairly
large triangle of about 20 yards each side. It takes four days to fill

with
a hose and then two days to drain. The clay base (of unknown thickness)
seems watertight, but I reckon it's leeching out where the clay meets the
topsoil sides.

What are my options? It's a bit big for a liner snip

It isnt too big for a liner, just expensive :-)

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 15-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Miss pent

You should have watched Gardeners World BBC2 on Friday. they constructed
huge clay pond the salient fact being that the clay must be at least 18
inches thick and must be tamped down preferably by machine and once filled
will need to be topped up two days later as the clay will absorb the water
necessary to make it watertight.
I am only passing on what I have heard.

--
Miss Pent