Old 04-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Mark Peters

Default Does anybody know what happened?

I had a rosebush behind the house that was a climber, but didn't do too well
because it was in the shade. Last year it started to grow around the house
into the light and had a number of blooms. This year, I bought an arbor and
transplanted the bush from behind the house to the front where it now
receives plent of light and water. However, there are no blooms and the
leaves are a light green rather than the dark green most of my roses have.
Two other climbers I bought to go on the arbor are growing more slowly but
have bloomed and seem to be doing quite well.

Will my old rose bloom next year or have I done something dastardly and all
I will have is a climber with light green leaves and thorns?

Thank you for any insight you may have.

Shiningknight

Old 04-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Mike

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, "Mark Peters" wrote:
I had a rosebush behind the house that was a climber, but didn't do too well
because it was in the shade. Last year it started to grow around the house
into the light and had a number of blooms. This year, I bought an arbor and
transplanted the bush from behind the house to the front where it now
receives plent of light and water. However, there are no blooms and the
leaves are a light green rather than the dark green most of my roses have.
Two other climbers I bought to go on the arbor are growing more slowly but
have bloomed and seem to be doing quite well.

Will my old rose bloom next year or have I done something dastardly and all
I will have is a climber with light green leaves and thorns?

Thank you for any insight you may have.

Shiningknight

The most likely explanation is the rose is growing roots instead of
spending it's energy on blooming. It's almost impossible (especially with
an established rose) to get all the roots when you transplant. If you
didn't prune the rose when you moved it, there will be more plant than the
roots can support and it will spend a season playing catch up. This would
also account for the paler foliage. It will probably look better and bloom
for you next season.

Mike

Old 04-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Tim Tompkins

As a rule of thumb, climbers bloom on 'last years wood'.
If you removed a lot of the canes it is not going to bloom until next year.

The pale green foliage is probably a nitrogen difficiency.
A new location may not have the same amount of available nitrogen. As a
transplant, the root system is the first priority, DON'T boost the nitrogen
until next season.
If the pale foliage also has dark veins, there is a iron difficiency, it is
OK to add iron to a new transplant.

Also, it never hurts to use a root stimulator to help get the transplanted
going.

Tim

Old 04-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Mike

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, "Tim Tompkins" wrote:

As a rule of thumb, climbers bloom on 'last years wood'.
If you removed a lot of the canes it is not going to bloom until next year.

This applies to once-blooming roses, regardless of whether they are
climbers or shrubs. Remontant climbers benefit from a light pruning in
spring prior to the onset of active growth. Once-bloomers should be lightly
pruned immediately after flowering. I wouldn't "remove a lot of canes" on
any rose.

Mike